Recent winds...

Pintail

Last Thursday night (as everyone remembers, surely?) it blew and it blew! The maximum gust recorded in Gloucester harbour was...(wait for it)...91mph! That's 79kt. (Force 12?) and was recorded at the office of the Harbour Master. The flag mast outside the Maritime Centre was smashed to matchwood; one back-shore establishment lost its roof over a section...

Then again last night; but not as vicious.

Anyone sustain any damage or have stories?

Last Thursday night (as everyone remembers, surely?) it blew and it blew! The maximum gust recorded in Gloucester harbour was...(wait for it)...91mph! That's 79kt. (Force 12?) and was recorded at the office of the Harbour Master. The flag mast outside the Maritime Centre was smashed to matchwood; one back-shore establishment lost its roof over a section...

I'm not surprised that a gust hit 91 mph here in Gloucester,

We've lived in our 258 year old house for 18 years as of today, and we've never, ever felt it shake like it did Thursday night. Luckily, we had no damage, although we made sure the cars were away from the trees, such as they are, in our back yard.

Thankfully, we never lost power. While we have a generator in case of such an emergency, I really feel for our friends in NH, northern Essex County, and East Gloucester, too.

Deb M :surfcool::roll:

Here are a couple of videos of the waves in the aftermath of the storm. Ocean Boulevard in Hampton was closed to Northbound traffic due to the waves coming over the seawall.

Fortunately we only lost an awning off the front door, some shingles off the roof and the chimney cap. I've never felt the house shake as much from any storm. The walls were actually pulsating in and out and windows as well.

Hope this is the last big Noreaster for the season.

Neil

Nothing hit our house, but our trees were not so lucky. The chainsaw is going to see a lot of use.

http://www.nspn.org/forum/uploads/12462223...45_78_46946.jpg

http://www.nspn.org/forum/uploads/12462223...45_78_51527.jpg

http://www.nspn.org/forum/uploads/12462223...0045_78_657.jpg

http://www.nspn.org/forum/uploads/12462223...45_78_19445.jpg

The snow park in Amesbury took a good hit. Apparently the metal storage shed that holds the inner tubes blew 300ft and tore apart when it wrapped around a utility pole. Lots of inner tubes were covering 495.

Some very large trees on our street came down, lots of shingles blown off roofs, cars crushed, etc... but we never lost power.

Ditto on the house shake. Thought the 112 yr old lady was gonna to blow away. Lost power in Ipswich around 10:55pm and regained the next pm around 9:10. Two huge branches from two trees down in my yard. One hit the house, taking out some slate roof, storm windows, fence.

Friend saw a carbon boat smashed on the marsh where he lives.

Was quite the storm over this way. Going up through Newbury a ton of damage.

Well, my house is only 12 years old and the structural engineer said it would withstand 160 mph winds. (My contractor thought he was overbuilding it, as did I since if we get those winds lots of trees will be flying through my windows.)

Anyway, it shook too. I must say I was surprised. No big trees in my yard, but power went out at around 10:00 PM and they did not get it back on until around 5 PM the next day. A huge tree fell on the power lines at the top of my road that took hours to clear.

I cannot imagine what a real hurricane would be like. It is probably good to have an occasional Nor'Easter to take down some of the weaker trees a few at a time. Liz

I got an email from Rick Crangle with a shot of his Toyota pickup crunched under a pine tree.

I offered him my chainsaw but got no reply. Anyone heard more from him?

We had one big pine come down but it didn't hit anything. We were without power until noon on Saturday.

I got an email from Rick Crangle with a shot of his Toyota pickup crunched under a pine tree.

I offered him my chainsaw but got no reply. Anyone heard more from him?

We had one big pine come down but it didn't hit anything. We were without power until noon on Saturday.

He is helping his Mama and very busy doing her yearly list.

We offered him Werner's Xterra but he said no because yellow is too loud for him.

suz

There you are! Hope all is well!

It actually hit 93 in Salem that night. Did significant damage at the Willows and blew many of the structures still on the water right into Forest River. Here a few pics taken at the Willows...

post-100227-1267669666_thumb.jpg

post-100227-1267669679_thumb.jpg

post-100227-1267669687_thumb.jpg

The Pine trees took some pretty big hits here in Southern NH (but not the house). This is the 'Year of the Chainsaw" for us at least. I think I've used every outdoor tool we have, but it is my Great grandfathers Peavy (for rolling logs) That has really been the saving grace...it was about time I learned how to use it anyway.

Knew we were in for it when I awoke to see a huge tree across the driveway. Taking a break after a couple of hrs working on it. It occured to us that maybe we should walk the rest of the drive way, "just in case".

The driveway looked just a little "to green"...sure enough two more big pines across it.

Big guys 100+ feet.

Yard and woods "still look like all hell broke loose" mostly helped by the fact our mud season is kicking in a bit early with the mild temps.

Didn't loose power though the lines were down at the end of the street. (not like last year when we lost the power for 9 days)

...one more thing..

A couple of years ago one of the pines near the house got it by lightning. It literally exploded as we ran down to the basement.

When we got our insurance check for damages it was more than we thought. ( $500 more if I remember correctly)

When we asked about the extra money... it was the value of the tree .

Other folks doing repairs from the storm might want to keep that in mind, the tree itself might be covered by your insurance.

The Surf Motel in Hampton Beach got its roof ripped off, starting a fire which burned the place down, winds spread the flames to other buildings, destroying the entire bock.

I missed the whole thing , was in San Francisco, and (coincidentally) at around the same time was caught in a 45-50 Kt gale , while on the water. Fortunately we were in the lee of a jetty, and were only blinded for about 10 minutes. A 40+ kt wind lifts water off of the ocean , producing a white squall that you may not be able to see through. Friends were about a mile away, surfing a tidal race ebbing at 3+ knots: they were in “survival mode†for about 10 minutes.

Came home to find property relatively unscathed, one tree down, but it fell onto neighbors yard, no damage to either properties. Tree was prompty bucked up, and now ready for firewood.

I missed the whole thing , was in San Francisco, and (coincidentally) at around the same time was caught in a 45-50 Kt gale , while on the water. Fortunately we were in the lee of a jetty, and were only blinded for about 10 minutes. A 40+ kt wind lifts water off of the ocean , producing a white squall that you may not be able to see through. Friends were about a mile away, surfing a tidal race ebbing at 3+ knots: they were in “survival mode†for about 10 minutes.

Glad all was well at home but TRIP REPORT please!