ravenspring drysuit?

kate

I've been using my more-than-a-decade-old Kokatat drysuit this fall and it is definitely due for replacement. Not only is it leaking (through the fabric? the waterproofing may finally be gone; latex gaskets have been replaced twice each and seem to be fine) but it's a non-breathable nylon without relief zipper or attached socks. I'd like to get the full cushy version and in researching have come across mention of Ravenspring as being a viable alternative.

Questions:

Are there local suppliers?

Do they offer the same sort of soft sock as Kokatat or only a hard boot attachment?

How long does it take to receive it if imported?

What else do I need to know about their product?

damply,

Kate

I purchased a Ravenspring Uno drysuit last year with relief zipper and latex booties. Total cost to me was $493 including a $10 credit card conversion fee. I was lucky and my post office didn't charge customs which Ravenspring said would have added 6.5%. The fit is very good as it was made to my exact measurements. The gaskets were comfortable without any trimming. The material seems to be as breathable as Goretex. Ravenspring was very good about keeping me informed about my order via e-mail. I have had no reason to test their customer service. I suspect it would be good. To answer your questions:

I don't believe there are any local suppliers.

A no charge option is to get latex booties instead of ankle gaskets, which I did. For me, they work as well as Goretex booties, as I wear neoprene shoes over them.

I received the drysuit 17 days after ordering.

I like the Uno model for fit and lightness. The lower part of the suit is very durable with heavier material around the seat and knees. The upper part of the suit is lighter and more breathable. It has internal suspenders which work well. It does not have material to shield the neck gasket from UV rays, however. I handle this by applying a light coating of 303 to the outside of the neck and wrist gaskets every time I use the drysuit.

>Do they offer the same sort of soft sock as Kokatat or only

>a hard boot attachment?

As answered elsewhere you can get Latex booties. Contrary to what was noted elsewhere GoreTex booties are probably more durable and longer lasting than Latex.

>What else do I need to know about their product?

>

The suit has one fewer layers overall with reinforcement in the key areas, thus reducing its cost and weight but also somewhat its durability.

Several members of the club got together to purchase suits en masse and recognized a discount. Suzanne (4 Star) Pritchett did the leg work and would be a good source for answering your other questions.

Last year I went through this same process. I asked Ravenspring if they would produce a goretex type sock rather than the latex given the durability of the fabric sock. After some research and a trial, they agreed. Many club members have the latex socks, and from what I've heard they do fine, but the fabric sock will certainly last longer in normal conditions with sand etc around when you are changing.

I elected at the end of my review to go with Kokatat given the quality of their fabric and found a suit on sale. The cost of the Ravenspring has been climbing over the last couple years as a result of the currency exchange rate.

This is all helpful, thanks for responses. Let me clarify that the drysuit will mostly be worn under a tuilik so it's actually preferable that it be light and have no neo cuffs or collar. The Uno looks like a contender to me. On the other hand, Kokatat is readily available in short order. Goretex vs latex I had not thought about, haven't seen the Goretex socks before. If I order from them I will ask about it.

Any further input much valued.

kate

Good for you for getting 10 years out of the dry suit. I think that is really remarkable and shows that you took proper care of it.

I believe that the material itself has gone through a few evolutions since your original purchase. Kokatat has also done a tremendous amount of R & D into the dry suits and are tops in the business for a reason.

While the Ravenspring is a breathable fabric, it isn't as breathable as the Kokatat. Last year when paddling with friends,my clothes would be more damp than theirs. Hard to compare that way though. Really needs to be the same person in the different suits. After losing weight last year, I was in need of a new suit and ended up replacing with a Kokatat. I am much drier this year than last - excluding yesterday's episode of the chest zip being left open about an inch during the required 50 meter swim during Canoe Safety.

Latex socks versus goretex - latex socks in my Ravenspring were huge - although listed as a small on the suit. Not sure why they make them so big - the goretex socks allow me to put on up to 2 pairs of socks and still stuff them in my NRS kickers rather than having to wear my Chota Mukluks. I think that they were going to be offering cloth socks at some point. The folds in the latex socks gave me blisters at times.

Sizing - this is the real bonus of a suit from Ravenspring - they make to measure so if you are of an odd proportion and don't fit in standard sizes, for the same cost of their regular suit, they will size to fit. Some of that is due to the elastic waist that they use and the looser legs and arms. Basically, one suit will end up fitting someone who is wide and short as it will fit someone taller and less wide. The excess material ends up being used differently for each of them.

My Ravenspring is showing signs of wear after one season - not sure if that is common or not. The wear is on the inside of the suit under the arm holes and in the crotch area. Probably wore it about 20+ times last season.

I found the Ravenspring front relief zipper to be too high to use easily with the "Freshette" (a urine director). Perhaps they can lower it a bit. As of last year, they were not making the drop seat option. Not sure if they are now.

In my dealings with Ravenspring last year, I found them to be very responsive and helpful. Very willing to work with the club as group. I have heard of a couple incidences where Ravenspring replaced suits due to delamination of the fabric.

Check the exchange rate before you make a decision - a change in the pound one way or another changes the suit price dramatically.

Suzanne

Another option is the Reeds drysuite. It is actually cheaper than the Ravenspring. It comes with fabric socks, is breathable, and seems to be holdin gup pretty well. Mine is a year old and is doin gjust fine. They are very popular in England and Reeds makes several other types of kit including a tulic.

I think the link is www.reedschillcheater.com

It's an interesting looking product, but I have some questions.

- How well did the seals fit?

- Are they trimmable if necessary?

- How well do they seal?

- How well does the fabric breathe?

- Is the "full adjustable, quick release double waist seal" what we call a double tunnel?

- Most importantly, is a relief zipper available? I wouldn't want to deal with a shoulder zip suit without one.