Friday 1/25/10

rylevine

Had an excellent trip yesterday with Kevin, Scott, Chris, and Gene. Starting around 11:00 with snow slide to the put-in. In the high 30s and pleasant, but rumor of predicted winds. Seems unlikely as we went from Tuck's in Manchester, outside of Misery, to Eagle, and then to Children's Island for lunch. Very gentle or nonexistent rollers making noodling around rocks very easy. Cold but sunny without wind in morning paddle and at lunch....and I'm beginning to think this will be a very leisurely day. Well, after lunch we round the corner from the Children's Island cove and boom!.....20mph gusts and 2' whitecaps. The entire harbor is hopping....We veto plan to head for Marblehead, and instead off to Eagle, the closest island, and it is all beam wind. No damage, except for an occasional drenching from a large whitecap. After Eagle, we decide to try to get following seas up to the Misery channel cut. As we were approaching the channel suddenly the winds and whitecaps stopped. The sun peeked through for a magnificent view and we proceeded to House Island for some very gentle but instructional rock play. Then back into Manchester, where we were stalked by a very young curious seal. Return to Manchester right on schedule at 3:30. Great day. Thanks to all participants.

Bob

Had an excellent trip yesterday with Kevin, Scott, Chris, and Gene. Starting around 11:00 with snow slide to the put-in. In the high 30s and pleasant, but rumor of predicted winds. Seems unlikely as we went from Tuck's in Manchester, outside of Misery, to Eagle, and then to Children's Island for lunch. Very gentle or nonexistent rollers making noodling around rocks very easy. Cold but sunny without wind in morning paddle and at lunch....and I'm beginning to think this will be a very leisurely day. Well, after lunch we round the corner from the Children's Island cove and boom!.....20mph gusts and 2' whitecaps. The entire harbor is hopping....We veto plan to head for Marblehead, and instead off to Eagle, the closest island, and it is all beam wind. No damage, except for an occasional drenching from a large whitecap. After Eagle, we decide to try to get following seas up to the Misery channel cut. As we were approaching the channel suddenly the winds and whitecaps stopped. The sun peeked through for a magnificent view and we proceeded to House Island for some very gentle but instructional rock play. Then back into Manchester, where we were stalked by a very young curious seal. Return to Manchester right on schedule at 3:30. Great day. Thanks to all participants.

Bob

Sorry, Typo: It was 1/15/10.

Bob

Bob-I think you covered it about right but neglected Chis and Scott sharing one set of pogies which became necessary sometime after lunch. Cautionary tale: don't leave home without them! A most enjoyable paddle on a less than daunting January day. While I was adequately warm throughout the day it was getting the boat out and changing of clothes in the cool air that gave me pause. The limiting factor in enjoying paddling in the Winter may have more to do with your exit strategy than anything else. Call me the next time we break 40.

Yes, an enjoyable day. Always nice to get back out on the water. Thanks to Scott for letting me try his pogies. It was my first time trying them out. I usually just wear gloves and pour hot water in them periodically but I forgot my thermos in my car. Thankfully, it was a mild day and my hands never really got that cold, but i was impressed at how warm the pogies were. Going to have to get myself a pair...

Photos of the day here.