Damariscove: a fine winter paddle. Sunday, Jan 10

PeterB

Four of us- three SMSKN- ites and myself- met at Ocean Point, East Boothbay, with tentative plans for a paddle in such comfortable conditions as we could find. Temperatures were chilly, perhaps in the low 20’s, but winds were mild, seas fairly calm, and we were presented with a brilliant sunny winter day with unlimited viisibility. We had envisioned a semi-protected paddle to the Thread of Life ledges, but on this glorious day, the islands and ledges directly to the south were most alluring, so we decided have a go at Damariscove, a long, double-lobed island, barren and scenic, about as "out–there" as one will find along Mid coast Maine. It’s north-south orientation promised to provide lee from the NW winds most of the day, so off we went.

With the help of wind and perhaps some tide, we made short work of our two crossings, each about 2/3 of a mile , first to Fisherman’s Island and thence to the northern tip of of Damariscove. From there we had an effortless Sunday drive down the lee of Damariscoves’ eastern shore, very quiet. and pleasant As we approached the southern end of the island ,some ocean swell created elevator rides along the rocky shore, but we stayed a ways off shore for the most part.

As we rounded the southern tip of the island, the scene changed quickly, from quiet and calm to whooshing and windy, but then back to quiet again once we entered the little harbor tucked into the southern tip of the island. We landed on the slimy seaweed -coated boat ramp under the charming historic life saving station with its stone tower. A big bird of prey flew out of the garage-like entrance to the station , and inside we saw a large nest in the rafters. We nestled in for lunch in a grassy patch against a south-facing corner of the building, bathed in sunlight but protected from the wind, with a view out to sea. Perfect. It was remarkably silent, except for our voices. After eating and chatting we saddled up again . amidst grumblings about chilly fingers and toes: it was chilly again now that we were in the shadow of the station.

We retraced our route, happy to again stay in the lee of Damariscove. On our crossing back to Fishermans, wind was a bit stronger, little whitecaps everywhere, so we had a bumpier ride into the wind, and, again, renewed silence for our glide in the lee between Fishermans Island and the “Hypocrites†a cluster of ledges now exposed on the lower half of the tide.The outer Herons and Pumpkin ledges loomed off to the east, inviting, but for another day.

Back at the Ocean Point take-out we were accosted by Mr. Carmody and Mary Beth, out for a Sunday drive, perhaps drawn to the sight of lumbering drysuited bodies moving kayaks about in a familiar place of business. We chattered for a little while, then headed off to the Monstweag Roadhouse for some food and ale .

We were all glad that we had decided to paddle: we had all converged on Boothbay from different directions, with no contact since Friday, each of us having decided to carry on with original plans, despite apprehensions because of the cold temperatures. As others have advised here; often, conditions turn out to be more favorable than forecast, so when in doubt it is often wise to carry on with paddling plans , and make the call at the launch site.

post-100369-1263228663_thumb.jpg

....Damariscove, a long, double-lobed island, barren and scenic, about as "out–there" as one will find along Mid coast Maine.

Peter, we experienced the same washing machine conditions on the southern tip last October while day-tripping. It's a beautiful spot, and in warmer weather, interactive trail guides with map lead you around the island-wide loop hike:

http://www.bbrlt.org/pdf/Damariscove-History.pdf

http://www.bbrlt.org/pdf/Damariscove-Nature.pdf

Peter, we experienced the same washing machine conditions on the southern tip last October while day-tripping.

Not sure if talking about same place and cause, but the ledges SW of the southern tip are named "Motions" for a reason I have been told. It is a location of great historical importance as well as beauty.

Nice to know folks are out there paddling and keeping boat wet. Sounds like a wonderful time.

I suspect lunch was a fine. Did anyone identify the raptor?

Not sure if talking about same place and cause, but the ledges SW of the southern tip are named "Motions" for a reason I have been told. It is a location of great historical importance as well as beauty.

Nice to know folks are out there paddling and keeping boat wet. Sounds like a wonderful time.

I suspect lunch was a fine. Did anyone identify the raptor?

The “Motions†are at the southwest tip of Damarscove, and are a force to be contended with if one is paddling around that corner. You must either thread between them or make a wide arc to avoid them. However, we came and went around the other ,southeast corner, so we avoided them altogether.

The raptor wasn’t identified. It was big and brown. Possibly an owl, probably a hawk as the nest was very hawk-like. I also saw a dovekie , the second I’ve seen since New Years , and I’d never seen one before then. They’re stubby little black- and- white birds, the smallest members of the auk (puffins, guillemots, etc) family.