Northeast boating fatalities in 2009

jason

A press release from the Coast Guard for 2009:

http://ow.ly/16ioSq

Similar to past years, fatalities were evenly divided between motorized and non-motorized vessels with 25 deaths in each category. Twelve canoe and five kayak fatalities accounted for 34 percent of total fatalities.

A press release from the Coast Guard for 2009:

http://ow.ly/16ioSq

Similar to past years, fatalities were evenly divided between motorized and non-motorized vessels with 25 deaths in each category. Twelve canoe and five kayak fatalities accounted for 34 percent of total fatalities.

Break it down further and canoeists alone accounted for nearly 1/4 (24%) of the deaths, yet it's kayakers at 10% that are about to be screwed by the legislature. Power boaters, who account for 50% of the deaths get another free pass...no big surprise there. I guess that's what their registration fees pay for.

What is it about these numbers that the monkeys in your state house can't understand???

I guess this is just more evidence that they really don't care about saving lives, it's more about getting a few vocally-grieving constituents off their backs, personal bias and the need to appear to actually be doing something. Shame on all of them!

I'm too jaded to think that politics has any science to it. It's all perceptions, votes, etc.

Of course, politician like to make pronouncements that would lead you to believe that they have all the answers, but I hope you'd know better by now.

But, thank god for a forum like this where we can exchange information, and further our skills based on the experiences of others. One of these days I'm going to try a Greenland paddle!!

Sad as I am that people do indeed drown, it does seem a fact of life.

I am still interested in what percent of the paddling population will meet their demise that way.

For example is it estimated that 5,000 people paddled a kayak last year here in the Northeast of which 5 died ?

Surely there must be estimated numbers like that which would give us an idea if we approx the same percentage as the number of people who bicycle or ski... or do other non motorized sports in which fatalities occur.