Boston Harbor Outer Islands

Doug

Open to view pics.

Doug

http://www.pixel8er.net/Other/Boston-Harbo...727281226_RukY2

[/quote

Thanks Doug. My favorites have the Boston skyline in the background - Numbers 54, 55, and 58. Especially 58.

It was a great trip in an area I've never visited. The weather was perfect for a cold air paddle, seas fairly calm but for some minor chop and tidal current (just enough to make it interesting), almost no boat traffic, lunch at Georges Island was fun, and so was circling Paddocks Island afterwards. Next time I would like to investigate the fort on Georges, and those mysterious buildings on Paddocks. Also, would like to try Graves. A bonus were the different views of the Deer Island treatment plant! Thanks for calling it Barry, and to Gene, Brad, Ernie, Scott, Glen, Peter, and Doug for participating.

Bob

Those are great shots, Doug. I especially liked: #8, 54, 58 and 71 but really you rode some great light through the whole trip.

I wish I could have joined but we ended up leaving the kids and home and me and my wife enjoyed a nice 4 hour paddle in Casco Bay. It is incredible to get such weather at the end of November.

It was a great trip in an area I've never visited. The weather was perfect for a cold air paddle, seas fairly calm but for some minor chop and tidal current (just enough to make it interesting), almost no boat traffic, lunch at Georges Island was fun, and so was circling Paddocks Island afterwards. Next time I would like to investigate the fort on Georges, and those mysterious buildings on Paddocks. Also, would like to try Graves.

Bob

I'm thinking about a similar paddle either Tuesday (if I cancel dentistry) or Sunday, or at least Saturday farther north for proximity to our Holiday Party. I've never paddled around directly adjacent Logan nor the inner Harbor so that might make for a leisurely day, especially if windy.

Thanks again, Doug for the memorable photos. Great light, eh?

Barry, could you post a trace?

Let's do it again soon.

Ern

...investigate the fort on Georges, and those mysterious buildings on Paddocks...

Years ago while touring from the Aquarium we were cautioned by harbour officials to respect the decrepit condition of these buildings and grounds. They spoke of the prospect for roof/floor collapses, etc. Have fun and be careful.

I enjoyed the company and thanks to Ern and Barry for calling this one. I did have a thought that using a chart in this area would have been a good idea. Most of us literally circumnavigated Peddock's Isl. Peddock's runs SW to NE and once rounding the SW corner we proceeded to follow the shore line NE when our direct route back was due north. If anything we could have paddled NW to pick up the lee of Long Island. I think without charts there is a tendency to choose landmarks and noodle our way along without benefiting from the most efficient bearing. Thankfully the wind turned SW on our way back and there was a nice quartering wind and following sea to speed us back. I had a little difficulty keeping up with the leaders in beam and head winds going but found myself as strong and speedy on the way back. Either the Force 4 really does come alive in a following sea or everyone else was tiring out as well. Extra thanks to Doug and Glen.

I did have a thought that using a chart in this area would have been a good idea.

Indeed! But not just this area.

Steve Maynard, BCU Coach 5 extraordinaire, used to take a chart with him even when just paddling around and near Peak's Island, where MICKO and he were based and which he knew like the back of his neoprene glove. <end sermon>

--David.

I enjoyed the company and thanks to Ern and Barry for calling this one. I did have a thought that using a chart in this area would have been a good idea. Most of us literally circumnavigated Peddock's Isl. Peddock's runs SW to NE and once rounding the SW corner we proceeded to follow the shore line NE when our direct route back was due north. If anything we could have paddled NW to pick up the lee of Long Island. I think without charts there is a tendency to choose landmarks and noodle our way along without benefiting from the most efficient bearing. Thankfully the wind turned SW on our way back and there was a nice quartering wind and following sea to speed us back. I had a little difficulty keeping up with the leaders in beam and head winds going but found myself as strong and speedy on the way back. Either the Force 4 really does come alive in a following sea or everyone else was tiring out as well. Extra thanks to Doug and Glen.

I enjoyed this trip. Beautiful fair late autumn weather. I'd never paddled in Boston Harbor before!

I had a chart on my deck, and I think most others did as well. Once rounding Peddock's SW corner, we didn't

follow its shore NE, but took a more direct route for Deer Isle, via Ransford and Long Island's northeastern tip.

Paddling NW would have brought us to either Moon island or the southern end of Long Is., a longer trip back by about half a mile, viable but with no special advantage , in a beam wind. As it was, the route back in a rear quarter wind was on about as efficient a heading as could be fashioned.

The Force 4 is a great boat for covering miles in wind. Nice to be with a well- appointed bunch of paddlers on this nice day. Ernie and Barry were very sharp in their matching drysuits. Glen's boat was back in action, all decked out with a new keel strip. I hope to paddle with y'all again soon.

The Force 4 is a great boat for covering miles in wind.

FWIW, I find the Force 4 to be one of the easiest boat to drive into the wind I have paddled and its "windage" footprint for beam wind is quite low and it is well behaved in beam seas. To me, its also easy in following seas assuming big enough to be called following seas, but in little wind chop of say up to two feet it will yaw more than some if you don't time your strokes properly.

Pictures showed what must have been a very nice Fall trip and engendered envy.

Ed Lawson

Here's the trace. 13 miles (11.3 nautical) in total ...

Thanks for a great paddle everyone.

Barry.

post-100453-1259611690_thumb.jpg

I think the trace demonstrates that there was more than one grouping on this paddle. I'm fairly certain that some of us did follow the western shore line of Peddock's. Also regarding Ed's remarks:the performance of the Force 4 also has a lot to do with the paddler's engine. While I feel it is easily the most efficient boat that I've paddled in any conditions, it isn't going to make me Greg Barton. While I am comfortable averaging close to 3.5K in most other boats, the Force 4 let's me average closer to 4K. Did anyone think to portage across the northern most isthmus of Peddock's? I thought I saw two paddlers doing so!

Good trip gents and thanks to all. FYI I did work a deck chart and my navigation was entirely almost spot on. We did in fact round the southwest tip of Peddock's and I marked our next destination point to be the north end of Long Island. I could see it on the bearing of 357 magnetic. I pointed out to Bob our destination - "that is the north end of Long Island". But it wasn't Long Island, it was the northern tip of Rainsford Island. Imaging my disorientation when rounding that point and instead of seeing the expected President Roads channel, I see another mile of open harbor. Humble pie and a reminder that having and using a chart is good, but bearing and distance (time) is navigation and once again I had failed to avoid overconfident visual assumptions.

Good trip gents and thanks to all. FYI I did work a deck chart and my navigation was entirely almost spot on. We did in fact round the southwest tip of Peddock's and I marked our next destination point to be the north end of Long Island. I could see it on the bearing of 357 magnetic. I pointed out to Bob our destination - "that is the north end of Long Island". But it wasn't Long Island, it was the northern tip of Rainsford Island. Imaging my disorientation when rounding that point and instead of seeing the expected President Roads channel, I see another mile of open harbor. Humble pie and a reminder that having and using a chart is good, but bearing and distance (time) is navigation and once again I had failed to avoid overconfident visual assumptions.

Scott,

I remember you showing me the chart as we came around Peddocks, and pointing out the destination. I was actually a little turned around out there at that point and unfamiliar with the landmarks, so the chart helped a lot. I appreciated our review of it. The name of the island was secondary as long as I could see the destination point (or points, as it turned out) on the map relative to Deer Island. Also, you identified a ringed smoke stack (?) in Winthrop, which helped. As we progressed northward, the buildings on Georges come into view, and all the pieces fell in place.

Bob

You guys sure picked a great day to tour the Harbor, nice pics too; what's noticible to me is the absence of small boat traffic, which would be swarming all around you on a summer Sunday! Georges is definitely worth a landing to explore, and the little observation tower on the NE end of the fort has some of the best harbor views around. If anyone can make trips there during the week let me know, sometimes I can get away from the desk for a day.

I think the trace demonstrates that there was more than one grouping on this paddle. I'm fairly certain that some of us did follow the western shore line of Peddock's.

While it must be to all of just academic interest, I need to revise my statement about circumnavigating Peddock's. If you look at Barry's trace you can see that we travelled about 1.5 mi from the north tip of Peddock's SW to the tip of Prince Head. Then turning NW and finally almost due north to get around West Head (the SW corner of Peddock's) we went another mile. Without consulting a chart this mile seemed like the other side of the Island to me. As Emily Litella was wont to say, "Never mind".

If you look at Barry's trace you can see that we travelled about 1.5 mi from the north tip of Peddock's SW to the tip of Prince Head. Then turning NW and finally almost due north to get around West Head (the SW corner of Peddock's) we went another mile. Without consulting a chart this mile seemed like the other side of the Island to me. As Emily Litella was wont to say, "Never mind".

I was thinking that Peddocks should be renamed the "Island of the many headlands" or "Island of false corners". There were at least 3 occasions where I thought we should be around this blankety-blank island by now!

I was thinking that Peddocks should be renamed the "Island of the many headlands" or "Island of false corners". There were at least 3 occasions where I thought we should be around this blankety-blank island by now!

I just went back and checked the chart. We paddled 2.8 miles to get around an island that is 1.5 miles long (as the crow flies)!