Sunday Post-Turkey Paddle?

subaruguru

Helios should reappear, amidst crisp (49F) but perhaps calmer (10kn westerly) air on Sunday.

So drysuits and maybe pogies too.

Paddling ideas?

Currently the NOAA Graphical forecast doesn't look good.

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/secto...ineDay.php#tabs

If that changes I'm in for Boston Harbor; if not I suggest a trip with better opportunities for wind protection. eg. Tuck's or Lane's

Also magic Seaweed forecasts 5.5' swells with short periods and 28 mph winds off of Nahant. While we don't intend to go surfing, the forecast has some correlation to what the conditions will be like at the Graves.

http://magicseaweed.com/Nahant-Surf-Report/1091/

If some bump were included, Emilie and I might enjoy getting wet. If bump isn't the intent here, we could make a different trip. Either Lanes or Pavilion to anywhere there are is some wet fun is likely the sort of thing that would appeal to us.

If some bump were included, Emilie and I might enjoy getting wet. If bump isn't the intent here, we could make a different trip. Either Lanes or Pavilion to anywhere there are is some wet fun is likely the sort of thing that would appeal to us.

To quote The Wire's Sen. Clay Davis: "Sheeeeee-it!" You young-uns married yet? This paddle's intent is perhaps skewed more toward working off today's excess in a more, uh, genteel manner, rather than chasing "bump" and grind.

As much as I'm attracted to a surfing fest, and may find one enroute, this Turkey Buzzard's looking for an energetic but relatively dry and perhaps reflective outing... at least until I assuredly work out with pogies my propensity to get numb toes and fingers.

"Y'feel me?"

If Barry's Harbor idea sounds too aggressive we can fall back on Tuck's Point where many options prevail.

Happy Holiday.

Lets meet at 10:30am ( BIB 11am) Deer Island. High tide is at 8:14am.

Gene, I'll bring my fibreglass repair stuff.

Barry.

Good-I think we should put in on the north side of the isthmus. We will be coming back about an hour or so after low tide and there should be plenty of water on that side. The south side by the wall will also entail a long muddy carry at that time.

Hi Folks,

Forecasts show WSW winds diminishing to either 10-20kts (WC) or 9-13knts (NOAA).

The paddle is still on, to be confirmed later.

It's sure howling right now, gusts in the 40's!

Ern

Hi Folks,

Forecasts show WSW winds diminishing to either 10-20kts (WC) or 9-13knts (NOAA).

The paddle is still on, to be confirmed later.

It's sure howling right now, gusts in the 40's!

Ern

If the west winds stay strong going out to the Graves will entail a difficult slog back. I have an alternative: Leave from the north side of Deer's head south and stay in the lee of Long Island, continue south and round Peddock's (still in the lee). Good place to stop for lunch! Through Hull Gut heading north and stay in the lee of Georges and Lovell. Back to Deer. 13+ mi. Ebb tide is about 11:00AM and if we go through Hull Gut at approx. 1:30PM we should be safe. Whaddya think?

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3343654

If the west winds stay strong going out to the Graves will entail a difficult slog back. I have an alternative: Leave from the north side of Deer's head south and stay in the lee of Long Island, continue south and round Peddock's (still in the lee). Good place to stop for lunch! Through Hull Gut heading north and stay in the lee of Georges and Lovell. Back to Deer. 13+ mi. Ebb tide is about 11:00AM and if we go through Hull Gut at approx. 1:30PM we should be safe. Whaddya think?

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3343654

Hi Gene:

Sounds like a prudent plan and works for me. So we are confirmed for Gene, Ernie, Bob, Scott, Kevin (?) and me. Any other takers ?

see you in the AM, (Ernie, you going to swing by ?)

Barry.

I have been following this thread for the last 2 days really hoping i can get my work done to go for a paddle. Right now i am a maybe. For those who dont remember or know me, i am Ross's buddy and i am well prepared for cold water immersion with plenty of hand and feet warmers. ;)

Hopefully see ya tomorrow

John

wife and kids are going paddling anf that means.a local lake. Have a great trip everyone!

OK, I'm 90% in. Will check the posts later. Prefer the more in-harbor route. Looks interesting to me plus I never paddled this area. Hope the water is clean.

Doug

OK, I'm 90% in. Will check the posts later. Prefer the more in-harbor route. Looks interesting to me plus I never paddled this area. Hope the water is clean.

Doug

Would be great to have you and your camera along :D

Hope the water is clean.

Yes, thanks to the $3.8bn facility we will be launching next to!

Barry.

Gean's trip looks suited for wind conditions, plus more to look at. The ride through the gut, 1 hr. before low may be fun with no other boats to contend with. Island's are full of history, bring ye camera. I'm in.

g.

\ Hope the water is clean.

Doug

Barry,

I'll pick you up by 9:30.

Doug,

Water's indeed clean, as the outflow pipes are miles out to sea. Biggest concerns might be chop

and winds in the channels slowing our crossings, as well keeping warm.

I love Calf's and the Brewsters, but that'll have to be a calmer day.

See y'all at 10:30.

G'night.

Ern

Gean's trip looks suited for wind conditions, plus more to look at. The ride through the gut, 1 hr. before low may be fun with no other boats to contend with. Island's are full of history, bring ye camera. I'm in.

Excellent! The only person we are missing is our resident Harbor Islands historian, Marc Parsons. Marc, what say you ?

Barry.

Although the buoys show 2.3' chop at 3-4 sec, winds 12-15 kn, the Harbor forecast is for sunny, 52F, 1 footers, clouding up later.

So we're on for staying a bit tucked in, e.g. Gene's trace.

Perhaps special care for face (balaclava?) and hands (warm gloves/pogies) indicated as gusts will hit 20 knots.

CHECK YOUR RADIO BATTERIES!

Hope I'm not missing any critical conditions.

BIB 11AM, Deer Island parking lot, launching north side.

Im out...Too much to do. maybe next time. enjoy the beautiful day