Kayak Fishing (for Tuna?)

rylevine

Wow. I would love to eventually graduate to fish for stripers off the nearby islands. I've done my fair share of fly fishing for stripers but the last 2 seasons have been disappointing. I think the fish might be hanging further off the coast.

This may require some bracing!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/sports/23fishing.html

- Bob

Leon,

Let me know next summer if you need a fishing companion. :D Fly or spin will work with me.

Rene

Nice, but I prefer fishing from a sea kayak.

Leon,

Let me know next summer if you need a fishing companion. :D Fly or spin will work with me.

Rene

You're on. Mostly, I troll with spoons or SlugGos.

I'd actually heard about this guy over the summer, but I thought they were putting me on. I guess he's for real.

I've gone after stripers and blues with a fly rod - both in a sea and a rec kayak. The rec's are easier to deal with the gear, unhooking and so forth, but with also some downsides.

It's a lot easier to find stripers from a kayak - as they lurk in weedbeds a lot and I've found it's pretty easy to troll with a fly rod. My favorite pattern is a Clouser bend-back.

In terms of tuna - holy moly, that's a whole 'nother level. And he was talking about going after a 400 pounder!!! I'll bet that'll give him a ride. Maybe he'll graduate to great whites next? We can have a Jaws V (or whatever number they're on).