installing a brunton compass

brambor

I installed a Brunton compass on my son's pintail. It just came with 4 screws but I think a layer of silicome arounf the perimeter would do good to prevent water to enter the cavity. Any suggestions?

I installed a Brunton compass on my son's pintail. It just came with 4 screws but I think a layer of silicome arounf the perimeter would do good to prevent water to enter the cavity. Any suggestions?

I just put silicone in the screw holes before inserting the screws and then a blob of silicone on the exposed screws after it was mounted. So far, so good ;-) A bead around the perimeter would probably work just fine. Just be sure to do something below decks to prevent gear from being snagged or torn by the exposed screw tips.

Carl

I just put silicone in the screw holes before inserting the screws and then a blob of silicone on the exposed screws after it was mounted. So far, so good ;-) A bead around the perimeter would probably work just fine. Just be sure to do something below decks to prevent gear from being snagged or torn by the exposed screw tips.

Carl

I like epoxy on the screw tips inside my boats. Just use the 2 part epoxy stuff that everyone has in their repair kit.

Actually once made an emergency repair on a Sunday to a leaking pipe as I didn't want to make a call to the plumber who was scheduled to come out on Monday anyway. I was so glad I had it around and remembered that I had it! That's always the hard part.

Suz

Don't worry about the cavity, except before you store it for the winter, as you want to drain any water in the recess. Be concerned about a complete seal around the screw holes, and take care to cover the exposed screw tips in the hatch. Diminutive, gooped, nylon acorn nuts work for me. Suggest search " install Brunton compass" or "p70 compass" for all kinds of tricks.

gary

If the curvature is enough to allow water, etc. to collect underneath its best to fill the void. The application of silicon, etc. can prevent water from getting in the holes. What you are worried about is the buildup of stuff that can freeze there and/or obscure the compass. We put a compass on a boat that required a carved piece of foam >1/2" thick at the edges. Well worth it.

I did put some silicone onto the screws (not directly into the screw holes) and I did put a little bit around the base. Thanks for the tip on the inside screws. I might take some mini rubber cups, fill them with epoxy and just glue them to the underside where the screws are.

I like epoxy on the screw tips inside my boats. Just use the 2 part epoxy stuff that everyone has in their repair kit.

Actually once made an emergency repair on a Sunday to a leaking pipe as I didn't want to make a call to the plumber who was scheduled to come out on Monday anyway. I was so glad I had it around and remembered that I had it! That's always the hard part.

Suz

I'll go back at it tonight. Spend some quality time in the basement. :D

If the curvature is enough to allow water, etc. to collect underneath its best to fill the void. The application of silicon, etc. can prevent water from getting in the holes. What you are worried about is the buildup of stuff that can freeze there and/or obscure the compass. We put a compass on a boat that required a carved piece of foam >1/2" thick at the edges. Well worth it.

Brambor, by all means (of course!) seal the four screw holes; but do not seal the cavity behind the compass. There is meant to be some gap. (Thus was I advised some years ago by Mr. Thomas of NESC) Importantly, remember to make sure your compass is aligned with boat's longitudinal axis (it's obvious, innit?)

If the boat will remain outside in winter, simply turn it upside-down. OK?

http://www.paddlerssupply.com/imglarge.asp...E=70PGasket.jpg

Take a look at the gaskets in the above link. Paddlers Supply supplies them to stores, they don't sell direct. You could probably make one yourself now that you see the idea. This takes up the space that is sometimes around the compass recess if it doesn't exactly conform to the compass.

Suz

I'll make my own. Thanks for the link Suz

Rene

http://www.paddlerssupply.com/imglarge.asp...E=70PGasket.jpg

Take a look at the gaskets in the above link. Paddlers Supply supplies them to stores, they don't sell direct. You could probably make one yourself now that you see the idea. This takes up the space that is sometimes around the compass recess if it doesn't exactly conform to the compass.

Suz

I used this web link as a reference for installing a ComNav 70P Compass in a Valley Aquanaut. I used brass pan head screws with nuts and lock washers instead of the self tapping screws provided with the compass.

Installing a Kayak Compass

Hope this helps!

Neil

At one of the shows, a P&H rep told me the only thing to seal would be the screws not the entire housing as it's better to allow water to drain out of the orifice rather than be trapped behind the compass housing for any length of time. Makes sense to me and looks better cosmetically speaking. Apparently in this case, simple is better.

Doug

but do not seal the cavity behind the compass. There is meant to be some gap.

and you may want/need to replace it someday so why make that job harder by sealing it in. Let alone readjusting it with the lubber line or adding oil if an annoying bubble shows up when you paddle in the winter.

More importantly, I agree the globe is by design supposed to be free except for the mounting ring and sealing it or putting material underneath it so it is pressed onto something could cause the expansion membrane to be damaged or at least leak which is a bad thing.

IMHO, its easy to overthink/overengineer installing deck compasses.

Check this link for info and notice no mention of sealing, etc. FWIW

http://www.aquadynology.com/Technical/compass_install1.html

Ed Lawson

I just put in a compass Sunday. I used the included screws since I can always beef it up later if necessary, and I doubt all four would come out at once. I preferred to start with tiny holes which I can bore out for bolts later. I put a bit of goop in the holes before putting the screws in and also on the points of the screws on the inside, but I feel it should only be semi-permanent in case I need to make adjustments (the adjustment screw is on the bottom) and don't see a reason to over do it - it is just a compass, not a structural element and I don't want to scratch or crack the globe so I'm going to be careful anyway. I did not fill in the recess nor did I seal around the face plate. I have no concerns about water getting under it. I'd be more afraid of water freezing if I had it sealed but some ended getting under it despite my efforts. Now there is plenty of room for ice to grow out freely rather than need to force itself and pop something. It is stored above freezing temps anyway.

I have not had the boat out yet to see if it leaks but if it does I'll just put more goop in from the bottom. The most important thing to me was getting the holes drilled right the first time. Everything else can be done over several times if necessary.

IMHO, its easy to overthink/overengineer installing deck compasses.

This seems to be a common malady. There is very little stress on the screws holding a compass in, so they don't need to be burly or have nuts & lock washers, etc. As others have said, you only need to seal the screw holes and should not try to seal the compass to the recess, as water that gets in behind it must be allowed to drain.

When you get right down to it, the best best way to install a Brunton compass is to simply follow the installation instructions that come with it, rather than trying to second guess them. What a concept! :D

This seems to be a common malady. There is very little stress on the screws holding a compass in, so they don't need to be burly or have nuts & lock washers, etc. As others have said, you only need to seal the screw holes and should not try to seal the compass to the recess, as water that gets in behind it must be allowed to drain.

When you get right down to it, the best best way to install a Brunton compass is to simply follow the installation instructions that come with it, rather than trying to second guess them. What a concept! :D

Exactly.

We've installed -- well, actually Bob has -- 4 or 5 compasses on various boats by simply following the directions and sealing the screw holes, and it's always worked.

Deb M :surfcool::roll:

Mine appears to have been packaged for general use as the instructions were mostly warnings and the only kayak related speak was of lubber lines. It warned me to keep it away from my loudspeakers but fortunately I keep my subwoofers in the rear hatch, which anyone with sense would do because of weather cocking.

Today, I was installing the 85R Brunton Compass:

51JPPXN89ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The screws that came with it were a bit more longer and substantial. First I thought about making some kind of epoxy cups to cover the exposed screws in the bulkhead space and then I thought of simple plastic wall anchors like this:

Wall%20anchor%203.jpg

Those fit perfectly onto the exposed brass screws. A few twists later the protection was done without the need of epoxy mixing.

This compass is larger than the Brunton 70P. Now my kayak reminds me of the opening credits from the series Police Squad

:rolleyes: