Old and New model comparison

Ben Fuller

I am in the process of rehabbing my 1978 Nordkapp SS. Its one of the first imported into the US by Ken Fink. It is what would now be called a low volume kayak ( the first S; they had a H that was higer volume.) Sized so that not much more than 9 1/2 booties will fit. I know that Nordkapps went through some changes. The M model had a built in skeg. Then there was the Jubilee and now another generation. I bought the old one without bulkheads and hatchs which I added, and it has a splendid solid bar foot rest. I added a rudder ala Paul Caffyn. Boat is reasonably light by modern standards for conventional layup at 57 pounds.

Anyway I wonder if anyone out there has paddled old and new Nordkapps and for that matter other designs whose name stayed the same but which got tweaked. Any comments?

I have what I think is called the H2O model. My size 12 feet fit in nice and my 6f 230lb body fits it like a glove. I love the speed it give me and the lively feeling when out on the water. It's the first boat I rolled by my self. :P ... first love... :rolleyes:

Rene

I am in the process of rehabbing my 1978 Nordkapp SS. Its one of the first imported into the US by Ken Fink. It is what would now be called a low volume kayak ( the first S; they had a H that was higer volume.) Sized so that not much more than 9 1/2 booties will fit. I know that Nordkapps went through some changes. The M model had a built in skeg. Then there was the Jubilee and now another generation. I bought the old one without bulkheads and hatchs which I added, and it has a splendid solid bar foot rest. I added a rudder ala Paul Caffyn. Boat is reasonably light by modern standards for conventional layup at 57 pounds.

Anyway I wonder if anyone out there has paddled old and new Nordkapps and for that matter other designs whose name stayed the same but which got tweaked. Any comments?

I have this year's LV. Supposedly different from the regular not only in volume but in shape - bow and stern are very tapered. I'm not familiar with older generations, or many boats for that matter, but I'm liking the LV very much after 6 or so weeks of having it. Word on the 'net is that the LV is and the regular share characteristics but the LV is really a different boat, not just a smaller Nordkapp.

5'11" (32 inseam) ~160 lbs. I have size 10.5 feet and they fit fine with booties but a little tight with Keens. I have the stock footpegs, so I imagine if you needed to use the bulkhead instead you'd need smaller feet that far up. Cockpit fits me quite well although there are complaints on the Internet about ergonomics. I tried out Impex and Current Designs and both skeg control boxes were right at my knee and intolerable so fit is personal.

Boat is pretty quick and fast, tracks well even without skeg, and turns easily so a fun boat to paddle. I haven't been in heavy conditions to see if it lives up to its reputation about being a boat for advanced paddlers (I'm not yet.) Big chop and currents it was fine but I haven't taken it on big waves or done much in the surf. The plan is to use the boat to advance my abilities...