gore lockout zipper

cgr

Gore has a new waterproof zipper (similar to sandwich bags) that they are rolling out for motorcycle gear. I haven't seen anything yet about using this for other applications, but it will be interesting to see if this gets used for drysuits in the future.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-new...9/gore-lockout/

The zips that kokatat currently uses in their Gore-Tex suits are rated for immersion. I would assume that the ones used for Motorcycle gear isn't rated for.

Suz

The zips that kokatat currently uses in their Gore-Tex suits are rated for immersion. I would assume that the ones used for Motorcycle gear isn't rated for.

Suz

I would agree with that, but there's no reason that a heavier-duty version couldn't work for dry suits. Perhaps they're working on one. It would be nice to have an alternative to the heavy, stiff, bulky toothed zippers we now use.

I have dropped an email to my contact at WL Gore HQ to learn more...

it is a very interesting looking item!

big steroid riddled ziploc ;)

rob

GORE-TEX® product tester

GORE Experience More website Moderator (keep an eye peeled for this!)

I Just received this response from the Project Manager:

"If you are interested to know if they are available in kayaking wet suits, the answer is not at this time. We are evaluating where to take this technology in the future. Right now it is a great fit in motorcycling jackets and the design criteria allow for the user to get significant value from it. Seems to make sense in wet suit applications, but at Gore we are committed to making sure products perform to their intended level in every application. This product has not yet been worked through fitness for end application challenges in a kayaking garment. Probably have to stay tuned to see where it might show up in the future. "

I would imagine it could be very nice in dry bags/containers as well as dry suits........

-rob