Columbus Day Paddle 10/12/09

rylevine

Gene, Lisa, Lorrie, Phil, Leon, Ernie, and I headed from Lanes at about 11:30 on a beautiful fall day with air temp about 50 degrees making the water feel warm. Low tide, bright sunshine and no wind/waves at the start. Progressed to southern tip of Plum Island with Leon setting the pace (for himself, of course). Lisa and I made an attempt to keep him in sight, which turned out to be an excellent noon-time workout for me. Had lunch on a sandbar at the tip of the island, then headed out for some promising breaking waves on a more eastward sandbar. Turns out they looked more impressive from the shore than they turned out to be - yet, everyone got some nice rides in from the surface energy. Lisa had a minor spill and I got soaked from a breaker, but otherwise no significant drama. Starting back to Lanes, Lisa and Leon dropped back for some pictures, and then managed to lose a paddle. Apparently some cleverness with the GPS on Lisa's part led to a recovery and we re-grouped for the paddle in as winds picked up from the east and some (~1') chop developed. The sky was magnificent with the sun breaking through light cloud cover. All arrived back at about 4:30 or so after a wonderful afternoon paddle. Thanks for calling it, Gene!

Bob

Thanks, Bob, for the trip report - had a great (if slightly damp) time, and I learned a lot, which is a major plus. I also have to sheepishly admit that we stopped, not for pictures, but for Leon to lend me some gloves as my hands were getting numb.

Some people were asking about distance/speed: The distance before lunch was 5.5 nm, speed about 3.6 kn. Speed home (for me) was around 3.12 kn. So we were a little off in our estimates. My total distance was 12.9 nm (14.2 miles), but as you know we were going in circles for a while there, so your mileage may vary :-)

Track is here on Google Maps (I think I can see a paddle floating there in the middle somewhere), with a few pix from Leon and me here.

Lisa (email lisa underscore huntington at yahoo dot com)

Thanks, Bob, for the trip report - had a great (if slightly damp) time, and I learned a lot, which is a major plus. I also have to sheepishly admit that we stopped, not for pictures, but for Leon to lend me some gloves as my hands were getting numb.

Some people were asking about distance/speed: The distance before lunch was 5.5 nm, speed about 3.6 kn. Speed home (for me) was around 3.12 kn. So we were a little off in our estimates. My total distance was 12.9 nm (14.2 miles), but as you know we were going in circles for a while there, so your mileage may vary :-)

Track is here on Google Maps (I think I can see a paddle floating there in the middle somewhere), with a few pix from Leon and me here.

Lisa (email lisa underscore huntington at yahoo dot com)

Wonderful day on the water! Great weather and wonderful companions! Lisa, I'm more than a little puzzled why the leg back was significantly longer than the leg going out. It should have been the other way round. I don't think the zig zagging for the surf used up that many more miles. Perhaps it was your attempts fetching Leon's lost paddle. On another note I much more enjoyed the leg out than the leg back. Genetically, the human mind(mine at least) is soothed by the vision of a reasonably close destination like Castle Neck, Essex Bay and sandy beaches. Hugging close to the shore line making our way up to the Plum Island spit had the same effect. Also the sun was out. The trip back was against a quartering wind and chop and Mackeral sky, while not in the least unpleasant, lacked the charm of the former leg. Seeing Lane's in the distance (6.5mi approx.) didn't help when after an hour or so it still seemed to be far away. This is all personal and I don't expect all to share my predjudice in this regard. I wonder if any others share it. To wit: a preference over coastal paddling including Island and beach hopping over long crow flight kinds of crossings. I raise this now only because yesterday's trip provided a stark contrast in providing both kinds of paddling experiences. I had a wonderful day including the long crossing back. Might even now do the Isle of Shoals which is about the same distance from Rye Harbor.

Lisa, I'm more than a little puzzled why the leg back was significantly longer than the leg going out.

Sorry if I was unclear - I didn't give a distance for the leg back. Only the "before lunch" leg (because somebody asked and I couldn't answer at the time) and the total for the whole trip. It was 1 mile from lunch to sandbars, and all that bobbing about does add up.

Lisa, I'm more than a little puzzled why the leg back was significantly longer than the leg going out. It should have been the other way round. I don't think the zig zagging for the surf used up that many more miles. Perhaps it was your attempts fetching Leon's lost paddle.

Gene,

This may explain it:

According to my nautical chart the distance from Lanes Cove to our turn point near the entrance to Essex Bay, then to our lunch stop near the tip of Plum Island was 5.9 nautical miles (6.7 statute miles). Lisa’s GPS and mapping software (assuming she read everything right) says it’s 5.5 nm (6.25 statute miles), which says she’s off by 0.4 statute miles relative to my calculations. Also, according to the nautical chart, the straight-line distance from our lunch location near the tip of Plum Island to Lanes Cove is 5.2 nm (5.9 statute miles).

Now Gene doesn’t think he put on much distance during the surfing off of Cranes beach (I’d guess it was ½ mile). However, Lisa had my camera mounted on her stern to film my forward stroke while I followed her after lunch (thanks Lisa). Her average speed doing this (according to Lisa's second GPS mounted on my boat) was about 5 MPH. The resultant videos show a run time of 30 minutes (1/2 hour). So her GPS logged at least 5/2 = 2.5 statute miles. Add this distance to the straight-line distance back to Lanes Cove and the resultant distance back is 8.4 statute miles (7.39 nm) which agrees almost perfectly with Lisa’s numbers which imply that this distance was 7.4 nm (8.4 statute miles).

Bottom line: According to my nautical chart and calculations, Lisa’s boat traveled 6.7 statute miles to the lunch location and 8.4 statute miles after lunch (including the filming distance). Those that surfed while we were filming probably traveled about 0.5 miles surfing so their distance after lunch was about 6.4 statute miles. Looking for my paddle was probably less than 0.1 miles.

Wonderful day on the water! Great weather and wonderful companions! Lisa, I'm more than a little puzzled why the leg back was significantly longer than the leg going out. It should have been the other way round. I don't think the zig zagging for the surf used up that many more miles. Perhaps it was your attempts fetching Leon's lost paddle. On another note I much more enjoyed the leg out than the leg back. Genetically, the human mind(mine at least) is soothed by the vision of a reasonably close destination like Castle Neck, Essex Bay and sandy beaches. Hugging close to the shore line making our way up to the Plum Island spit had the same effect. Also the sun was out. The trip back was against a quartering wind and chop and Mackeral sky, while not in the least unpleasant, lacked the charm of the former leg. Seeing Lane's in the distance (6.5mi approx.) didn't help when after an hour or so it still seemed to be far away. This is all personal and I don't expect all to share my predjudice in this regard. I wonder if any others share it. To wit: a preference over coastal paddling including Island and beach hopping over long crow flight kinds of crossings. I raise this now only because yesterday's trip provided a stark contrast in providing both kinds of paddling experiences. I had a wonderful day including the long crossing back. Might even now do the Isle of Shoals which is about the same distance from Rye Harbor.

Gene,

As to your other point, open crossings versus shoreline. On my trips to Misery from Salem, I usually do the open crossing on the way out; and go down the coast on the return. The shoreline is interesting, with the rocks and coastal mansions (although lately I tend to think about the burdens of maintaining those monsters!). There is the crossing of the Danvers river at Lynch park, which has boat traffic and its own peculiar chop, however overall the return seems much faster because you see progress along the shore. This especially helps when tired.

Bob

Gene,

This may explain it:

According to my nautical chart the distance from Lanes Cove to our turn point near the entrance to Essex Bay, then to our lunch stop near the tip of Plum Island was 5.9 nautical miles (6.7 statute miles). Lisa’s GPS and mapping software (assuming she read everything right) says it’s 5.5 nm (6.25 statute miles), which says she’s off by 0.4 statute miles relative to my calculations. Also, according to the nautical chart, the straight-line distance from our lunch location near the tip of Plum Island to Lanes Cove is 5.2 nm (5.9 statute miles).

Now Gene doesn’t think he put on much distance during the surfing off of Cranes beach (I’d guess it was ½ mile). However, Lisa had my camera mounted on her stern to film my forward stroke while I followed her after lunch (thanks Lisa). Her average speed doing this (according to Lisa's second GPS mounted on my boat) was about 5 MPH. The resultant videos show a run time of 30 minutes (1/2 hour). So her GPS logged at least 5/2 = 2.5 statute miles. Add this distance to the straight-line distance back to Lanes Cove and the resultant distance back is 8.4 statute miles (7.39 nm) which agrees almost perfectly with Lisa’s numbers which imply that this distance was 7.4 nm (8.4 statute miles).

Bottom line: According to my nautical chart and calculations, Lisa’s boat traveled 6.7 statute miles to the lunch location and 8.4 statute miles after lunch (including the filming distance). Those that surfed while we were filming probably traveled about 0.5 miles surfing so their distance after lunch was about 6.4 statute miles. Looking for my paddle was probably less than 0.1 miles.

Thanks for the calculations Leon. While I may have been simply surprised at the additional distance eaten up during the surf detour it just seems counterintuitive that there was so little difference between a straight line run and the same end points doing two legs. Perhaps it strengthens my preference for navigating from one terrestrial heading after another to achieve the final destination. To wit: little additional mileage is required.

it just seems counterintuitive that there was so little difference between a straight line run and the same end points doing two legs. Perhaps it strengthens my preference for navigating from one terrestrial heading after another to achieve the final destination. To wit: little additional mileage is required.

Gene,

Don’t get carried away with the lack of additional distance from the two legs. In general it can be a lot of additional distance. As it was (not counting the distance paddled for filming and surfing) the sum of our two paddling legs was only 13% more than the straight-line distance. This is because we didn’t go far out of the way (heading towards Essex Bay) and the angle off the target bearing was less than 45 degrees. However, for example, if we had headed 45-degrees off the target bearing angle and didn’t turn back towards the target until we formed a right isosceles triangle then the sum of the two paddling legs would have been 41% more than the straight line distance.

Gene,

Don’t get carried away with the lack of additional distance from the two legs. In general it can be a lot of additional distance. As it was (not counting the distance paddled for filming and surfing) the sum of our two paddling legs was only 13% more than the straight-line distance. This is because we didn’t go far out of the way (heading towards Essex Bay) and the angle off the target bearing was less than 45 degrees. However, for example, if we had headed 45-degrees off the target bearing angle and didn’t turn back towards the target until we formed a right isosceles triangle then the sum of the two paddling legs would have been 41% more than the straight line distance.

Leon you are the second friend who has suggested in print that I not get carried away over one thing or another. Perhaps I'm becoming a Republican and don't know it? I'll try and be more tolerant in the future. On the other hand that additional 13% was, in my mind, worth it.

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Oct 14 2009, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something about Ernie's stance...like he's telling someone to "Draw!" Ern, you look like a gunsliger ;)

Maybe I've been watching too much Sons of Anarchy...or The Wire!

Green track is 5.5 miles; white track is 5.0 miles; yellow track is 3.7 miles; lunch was at the red spot.

Aha! Gene's droopy path is only 30-35 degrees limper than Leon's rigid shot across the bay. Impressive to all except maybe Pythagorus.

Lisa, re skirts, we think of them as proud loincloths!

Proud loincloths? As a former dancer, my friends tell me spray skirts resembles tutus! And that with my dry suit on, I look like an Astrobee :D

About 5 years ago I almost bought a Farmer Jane (the zipper on the John version wasn’t low enough for …., oh, you know what). I was a little reluctant (it had some pink trim) but I thought that fear of my fist would offer some protection from potential teasing and mocking. The suit didn’t fit well so I didn’t make the purchase.

Now, paddlers like Lorrie and Lisa could easily kick my butt. Sure glad I bought the Farmer John instead.

About 5 years ago I almost bought a Farmer Jane (the zipper on the John version wasn’t low enough for …., oh, you know what). I was a little reluctant (it had some pink trim) but I thought that fear of my fist would offer some protection from potential teasing and mocking. The suit didn’t fit well so I didn’t make the purchase.

Now, paddlers like Lorrie and Lisa could easily kick my butt. Sure glad I bought the Farmer John instead.

We might be able to kick your butt, except we'd have to catch you first ;)