Flying Valley Hatch Covers, Batman!

subaruguru

Forgetting to fully batten down them hatches, the large oval Valley covers previously on my Force 5 apparently chose to wildly pirouette off their still-intact tethers and are now $83 each road-kill on 128N somewhere between the 93 interchange and Exit 17 for Manchester.

A no-questions-asked reward (huh?) for their return so they can receive a proper spanking.

Sigh....

Commiserations, Ernie!

The only time I ever lost one was very close to my home and the next day I found it propped up against a telephone pole, awaiting my collection. (Thank you, near-neighbours) Those things are expensive to replace, as, doubtless, you already know. ; ^ (

Those things are 83 dollars? ouch.

Commiserations, Ernie!

The only time I ever lost one was very close to my home and the next day I found it propped up against a telephone pole, awaiting my collection. (Thank you, near-neighbours) Those things are expensive to replace, as, doubtless, you already know. ; ^ (

Those things are 83 dollars? ouch.

Which is why my untethered ones travel in the gear bag in the car and the tethered ones are off and stuffed in the hatches. Also helps to prevent pressure build up while traveling due to changes in temperature.

Hope you recover them...real bummer.

Ed Lawson

Forgetting to fully batten down them hatches, the large oval Valley covers previously on my Force 5 apparently chose to wildly pirouette off their still-intact tethers and are now $83 each road-kill on 128N somewhere between the 93 interchange and Exit 17 for Manchester.

A no-questions-asked reward (huh?) for their return so they can receive a proper spanking.

Sigh....

Having lost a hatch cover off my ExplorerLV at one point on 128, I can feel your pain, as can Bob who's lost one off his Pintail, although it was found -- of course, after he'd shelled out the $$$ for a new one.

Here's a link to Atlantic Kayak Tours that offers Valley hatches at a little lower price, although I don't know what they charge for shipping.

stores.aktretail.com/-strse-Hatch-Covers/Categories.bok

Deb M :roll::surfcool:

Does anyone know what NESC and CRCK get for round Valley hatch covers? I need to replace one that spontaneously self-destructed.

Brian,

I think NESC gets $40, but I could be wrong < or>as I don't remember what Bob paid when he had to replace his lost but found one (he also bought a hatch rim) on his Pintail. Calling Joel might be your best bet.

No idea what CRCK charges.

Deb

• 1 month later...

Valley Oval Hatches really lock in tight if you put them on right. However you need to press the lower edge into the hatch coaming to seal it correctly. Once you do them puppies are very secure and it would take an internal bomb to pop off. I'm not sure even that would do it :) Unfortunately most other non Valley Kayaks that use VCP hatch overs don't have the same coaming rim as Valley and thus do not seal as well.

Neil

I can't find it now, but I came across an "emergency" Valley hatch cover that was neoprene & bungee like a cockpit cover. 20-30 bucks if I recall, so probably a good thing to have in one's kit so as not have to turn around at the put-in and go home unfulfilled. My Prijon uses them but also has hard plastic covers that flip over top. I'm sure they are fine for non-extreme use without the extra protection, but the Prijon has a lip made for them and I'm not sure how well the lip designed for rubber covers holds something else. Gotta be better than Saran Wrap and a rubber band!

I think they were actually made by Valley.

I can't find it now, but I came across an "emergency" Valley hatch cover that was neoprene & bungee like a cockpit cover. 20-30 bucks if I recall, so probably a good thing to have in one's kit so as not have to turn around at the put-in and go home unfulfilled. My Prijon uses them but also has hard plastic covers that flip over top. I'm sure they are fine for non-extreme use without the extra protection, but the Prijon has a lip made for them and I'm not sure how well the lip designed for rubber covers holds something else. Gotta be better than Saran Wrap and a rubber band!

I think they were actually made by Valley.

I have a pair of these (one round, one oval) that are made by Palm. I've pressed the round one into service and it's every bit as dry as the original Valley cover.

More info on VCP Hatches Triple Seal on Valley Kayaks.

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/pages/Re...ch-Covers.shtml

As far as the emergency hatch covers Jeff mentioned, they are available form Great River Outfitters

http://www.grokayaks.com/Accessories.html

:jenni:

Neil