choosing a fishing kayak

DaveL

Would like to buy either the ocean prowler trident 15 angler or wilderness system tarpon angler 160

Can anyone comment on their preference after using either of these?

Plan to occasionaly launch these in moderate surf. How do you store poles safely in the Wilderness kayak. The oceann kayak has the rod pod for this purpose

Would like to buy either the ocean prowler trident 15 angler or wilderness system tarpon angler 160

Can anyone comment on their preference after using either of these?

Plan to occasionaly launch these in moderate surf. How do you store poles safely in the Wilderness kayak. The oceann kayak has the rod pod for this purpose

To each his own, but I do all of my fishing from a very fast sit-in sea kayak (SIK). However, you do need sea kayaking skills. My rod holder is the front of my PFD. Mechanical rod holders are available for SIKs that don’t require drilling.

Main Disadvantages:

No room to store fish (other than lashing to the deck or using a fish bag such as http://www.austinkayak.com/products/1239/N...ag-Cooler.html).

Less primary and secondary stability (can easily capsize) and you should be able to roll and perform self-rescues.

Main Advantages:

You can cover much larger distances than with a sit-on-top (SOT) fishing kayak.

You can get to a blitz much faster.

If you’ve been skunked at least you had fun kayaking.

You've read the response from my esteemed colleague, realize that Leon was kayaking with a cane on his deck whilst a recent leg injury healed, i.e. he is very self-sufficient. He is of a breed that chases down (blitzes) the feeding frenzies of sea birds to partake in the larger fish that have driven the bait fish to the surface. Fish spray is a sight in itself. If you plan to fish aggressively you will need a sea kayak and learn to manage a less optimal fishing platform. I have paddled often with another esteemed fisherman and while I never had the patience for fishing, the spoils (he is kind enough to share) are quite tasty.

I fly fish, and have both a WS Pamlico and Tempest. I've fished with both, but for most fishing I like the Pamlico more because there's more room. I typically will troll in the Pamlico, by throwing out the line, have the rod draped over my shoulder and run the line through my toes.

When I troll in the Tempest, I toss out the line and put it in the deck rigging.

Then there's just casting to weed beds, which is the same either way. Putting the fish inside the cockpit of the Tempest feels a bit strange, especially for blues, who are known to have sharp teeth.

Most of my fishing had been for stripers and blues, although I've gotten the occasional flounder (on a fly rod no less!).

John H.