Mystic Lakes kaput!

ayong

Sorry Ern--and all of us--the boat ramp to the upper Mystic Lake is closed!

It's fenced off and will be off limits for perhaps two years while the damn dam is "fixed".

There are some access points along the shore near the parking turnoffs along Mystic Valley Parkway, but it ain't the same...so much for the backyard playpen...

Tom

Sorry Ern--and all of us--the boat ramp to the upper Mystic Lake is closed!

It's fenced off and will be off limits for perhaps two years while the damn dam is "fixed".

There are some access points along the shore near the parking turnoffs along Mystic Valley Parkway, but it ain't the same...so much for the backyard playpen...

Tom

Hi Tom...and Happy New Year.

I stopped in today and spoke with one of the contractors. Interesting that they'll be working on a full 500 feet of the dam, installing copper, rebuilding, and providing a new fish-ladder too. The ramp WILL be open next summer.

In the meantime the Tufts side IS OPEN through the fall, but of course requires negotiating their concrete stairway...best portaged with a buddy. I'll probably find it easier to just put in at Sandy Beach this fall and next spring when paddling solo.

DCR's getting flak from the Medford Boat Club re clack of access to "their" peninsula. Figures....

Long term plans include revamping the ENTIRE dam circumference which extends past the Club and up around the Arlington side too!

(Interestingly the MBC is actually in Arlington, as the line bisects the Lake at an unpredictable angle. We both agreed that they stole it from the State anyway.)

One of the workers had accidentally plunged in past his waders and was comically using a blowtorch to dry his jeans when I visited.

Ern

I'll probably find it easier to just put in at Sandy Beach this fall and next spring when paddling solo.

Strangely, the beach and bath house area at Sandy Beach is completely fenced off. Not sure why, but it looks like there may be some planned construction there as well.. You may have to launch at one of the little parking areas (just dont park facing out, you may get some unwelcome attention :-)

Barry.

Strangely, the beach and bath house area at Sandy Beach is completely fenced off. Not sure why, but it looks like there may be some planned construction there as well.. You may have to launch at one of the little parking areas (just dont park facing out, you may get some unwelcome attention :-)

Barry.

There's an 8 foot wide access hole in the fence just west of the beach house, but maneuvering a kayak through the fence corner pinched by a bush seems really difficult.

Best put in I found was the turn-out with the bench in it, as it's a short straight shot into shallow water. Clocks at exactly a mile walk for me with my PaddleBoy.

Ern