West Beach, Beverly

Gcosloy

Three of us launched from West Beach (good parking, clean bathrooms) and paddled out to the Miseries. We decided to go round Baker's and then House. Suddenly it dawned on me why not lunch at Tuck's Point, nice picnic benches and bathroom facilities. They may not want us parking there but as far as I know the local constabulary hasn't been checking kayak registrations yet. Sue looked fine in her new Cetus LV and Dan paddles great with his GP. Light wind and light chop made for a glorious fall day on the water. After lunch we headed down the coast toward Beverly before turning around and returning to West Beach. The tide had gone out a bit and the walk back to the cars was a tad longer but all in all a worthwhile put-in for the off-season. Sometimes just noodling around without a serious destination can be fun. It was the maiden voyage for my Force 4 and while I didn't think it was better than other boats I've been in, it was different and I liked the difference. Very little rocker over 18' and very sensitive to a small lean that makes for a surprisingly maneuverable boat.

It was the maiden voyage for my Force 4 and while I didn't think it was better than other boats I've been in....

I wonder what it was thinking about YOU?

It was the maiden voyage for my Force 4 and while I didn't think it was better than other boats I've been in....

I wonder what it was thinking about YOU?

I think the Force 4 felt that I wasn't better than other paddlers it knew, just different and maybe liked the difference also. Went to Walden yesterday to roll the new boat and did a 180 with a sweep on one side and a bow rudder on the other. Is this a new category:expedition/playboat? Compared to other boats I know the Force 4 requires fairly good technique to do a sweep roll. It doesn't suffer raising the head or the lack of decent layback gladly. Might be the ideal boat learn on since it demands good technique. I got pretty sloppy this Spring with the Nordkapp LV which didn't care much about the paddler's technique, it almost rolled itself.