Managing Groups

subaruguru

http://rlv.zcache.com/img/imt-prd/isz-l/pd...51298178973.jpg

Recently I went on a very successful, fun paddle in a 9 paddler pod that casually fractured into two groups as the helmeted rock-seekers chased challenges. Further confusion played out as some of us chose clockwise vs counterclockwise circumnav of a small island in rough conditions. After a while it seemed pointless to try to count to NINE anymore, especially as I got tossed by a breaker against a rock completely out of eyesight of anyone else!

Later one of us just shot off for a long distance solo addendum, too.

Eventually we collected again, having suffered only two or three capsizes, and finally carefully divided into two groups to formally extend the paddle.

Nevertheless I'm nagged by the "couldas" and "shoudas" re group management and activity decision-making. Had we had another "WTF, you lost Gene!" episode...well you know. Can we address this a bit at the upcoming meeting?

I for one would like to see all groups larger than 8 or so be at least casually redefined as two sub-groups initially, independent of mutual activity, so that we're not always wondering where paddler X went. It's then easier to sort out and keep track of folks, and of course can be modified later on the water as changes occur.

I for one would like to see all groups larger than 8 or so be at least casually redefined as two sub-groups initially, independent of mutual activity, so that we're not always wondering where paddler X went. It's then easier to sort out and keep track of folks, and of course can be modified later on the water as changes occur.

Ernie,

I presume you are talking about Sunday. A beach briefing attended by EVERYONE would have been a good start !

Barry.

Ernie has a point. A beach briefing might have helped, but a group of 9 going/playing around rocks with differing agendas and skill sets can make things difficult. For something that can involve a fair amount of confusion such as rocks and breaking waves, we would have done better to split into smaller groups. This could prevent naive folks from playing follow the leader into difficult rocks as well as preventing traffic jams where there were too many people too close together for safety.

I admit I was counting heads all day, even just after being walloped. That said, we had fun, didn't lose anyone and came home intact ('cept for some gelcoat on my boat :bravo: ).

Phil

Ernie,

I presume you are talking about Sunday. A beach briefing attended by EVERYONE would have been a good start !

Barry.

Actually we did have a brief beach briefing to start. Two or three were already in the water however. After Tinker's there was an on the water discussion of how to proceed and whether to break into two groups. The solo paddler Ernie mentioned is an unreconstucted individualist and short of tying him up and towing him, no amount of discussion would have changed him. Unlike Ernie I thought that Sunday was a wonderful example of folks doing their thing with a modest hommage to group awareness. In my opinion everyone who participated was experienced and had strong paddling skills. With the exception of the soloist, no one was out of sight of at least one other paddler. Ernie might be the exception if he went the opposite way round some rocks and momentarily found himself alone. I think group awareness needs to cut both ways-yes look out for me but it is also my responsibility to speak up and declare "I'm not going there-someone needs to hang back with me"! The buddy system would not have worked Sunday-there was too much sampling and overlap in what paddlers were doing.

Actually we did have a brief beach briefing to start. Two or three were already in the water however.

Dont get me wrong, I had a wonderful day! A beach briefing is CAM 101, as I recall we had 4 (or was it 5?) of the 9 at the beach briefing. IMO its the individual's responsibility to participate in the briefing and not rely on being called to it. If you are skirted in and paddling through the surf and have not been in a briefing you have to ask the question "what happened to the briefing?".

my 2 cents.

Barry.

Recently I went on a very successful, fun paddle in a 9 paddler pod that casually fractured into two groups as the helmeted rock-seekers chased challenges. Further confusion played out as some of us chose clockwise vs counterclockwise circumnav of a small island in rough conditions. After a while it seemed pointless to try to count to NINE anymore, especially as I got tossed by a breaker against a rock completely out of eyesight of anyone else!

Eventually we collected again, having suffered only two or three capsizes, and finally carefully divided into two groups to formally extend the paddle.

Nevertheless I'm nagged by the "couldas" and "shoudas" re group management and activity decision-making. Had we had another "WTF, you lost Gene!" episode...well you know. Can we address this a bit at the upcoming meeting?

Yes, this can be discussed at the upcoming meeting!

Peter

Cool Picture. Do you know more about where it was taken, who took it and what was the occassion?