Interim solutions before I get a drysuit

brambor

Sometimes within a few months I should be able to purchase a drysuit. In the meantime, however, I'm thinking about some interim solutions.

I have a nice pair of comfortable, breathable waders with neoprene stocking foot and a nice paddling dry top with rubber closures for arms and neck. I'm thinking about putting the waders on and secure them with a wader belt and then over them put my paddling dry top which has two bungee closures on the waist.

I could also carry a spare set of dry clothes in a hatch compartment.

I also have a good pair of rubber boots. I'm not really sure I understand the benefit of rubber boots in case of wet exit. Won't they fill with water and restrict movement?

B-

I'd test your wader/drytop combo by wading into some surf (with folks near by to pull you out should you have problems) before you commit to using it as safety clothing. It may work fine, or you may find that the bottom of the drytop doesn't seal well and you end up filling the waders with water. The latter result could be catastrophic in a swim.

Phil

Good point Phil. I will definitely test it by exiting the kayak. Perhaps this weekend.

I did use this combo in surf before while striper fishing. I found a good fishing spot in the surf which only produced at specific tide setting. It meant I had to be in the water above my waist and still be ready for incoming surf. I usually fished the spot for one hour with minimal water intake into my waders. ... swimming, however could produce different results.

B-

I'd test your wader/drytop combo by wading into some surf (with folks near by to pull you out should you have problems) before you commit to using it as safety clothing. It may work fine, or you may find that the bottom of the drytop doesn't seal well and you end up filling the waders with water. The latter result could be catastrophic in a swim.

Phil

Michael,

Around the end of November I'll have enough money to look for a new or used XXL drysuit and new size small drysuit and new size xs drysuit (if they make anything like that)

B

Are you planning on buying a drysuit this year or is this a someday purchase? You could look at the Kokatat Tempest dry pants, or if you wear a XXL you can buy my non breathable no relief zip bibs from me for a really good price!

I've heard that Kerry who owns Suncook Canoe and Kayak in Barnstead N.H. is supposedly bringing in a new Drysuit from Britian. What supposedly will be different on these suits is that they will have just one zipper that will run up ones' inseam, under the crotch and down the other inseam. You will pull the top on like a sweater, then step into the legs and zip. Because the zipper runs under the crotch, it will also give you your bathroom relief option.

I've heard that Kerry who owns Suncook Canoe and Kayak in Barnstead N.H. is supposedly bringing in a new Drysuit from Britian. What supposedly will be different on these suits is that they will have just one zipper that will run up ones' inseam, under the crotch and down the other inseam. You will pull the top on like a sweater, then step into the legs and zip. Because the zipper runs under the crotch, it will also give you your bathroom relief option.

That's an interesting approach. Any other details about these suits, such as what type of fabric they're using.

That's an interesting approach. Any other details about these suits, such as what type of fabric they're using.

That is all I've heard and to be fair it came from somebody who was at the shop, but I do frequent his business and will happily post anything more I hear. They left their old web site host and have been rebuilding their new site, but it isn't up and running at this point in time.

That is all I've heard and to be fair it came from somebody who was at the shop, but I do frequent his business and will happily post anything more I hear. They left their old web site host and have been rebuilding their new site, but it isn't up and running at this point in time.

It may not be the one you are referring to, but Peak is coming out with a version of this suit:

http://www.peakuk.com/peakukkit.php?content=onepiece

Does the zipper go across both legs? That seems like a long zipper!

What every suit you buy please make sure it's 3 layer breathable, the 2 layer materials are not durable.

I wonder how they would be to walk in them....

Given the zippers I've seen on dry suits I would expect the zipper to be uncomfortable at best. Also, it is useful to be strip down to the waist when taking a break to let the suit breath. Wicking fabrics won't shed moisture in the cockpit nor underneath your PFD, etc. You can/should carry extra stuff anyway and you can pull it on.

Does the zipper go across both legs? That seems like a long zipper!

What every suit you buy please make sure it's 3 layer breathable, the 2 layer materials are not durable.

Mike,

They have a pic on the Peak link that I put up. If you click on the zipper portion, it has the pic.

REI Framingham has one Stohlquist Men's Medium latex-necked (forget whether that's gPod or bPod), bottied, relief-zipped, skirt-tunnelled Drysuit on clearance for $440!

I have the neoprene-necked version of this suit and find it remarkably good for the price.

The Cordura-soled booties are a welcome adjunct when walking a bit too.

I suppose I shouldn't expect it to last as long as a $1k Kokatat, but at 1/2 price it's an attractive buy...esp as I don't like latex neck seals.

So far I have seen a lot of references to Kokatat

Now I have a question which brand out there seems to be most favored by the ladies? I want to make sure I show my wife the best stuff :rolleyes:

REI Framingham has one Stohlquist Men's Medium latex-necked (forget whether that's gPod or bPod), bottied, relief-zipped, skirt-tunnelled Drysuit on clearance for $440!

I have the neoprene-necked version of this suit and find it remarkably good for the price.

The Cordura-soled booties are a welcome adjunct when walking a bit too.

I suppose I shouldn't expect it to last as long as a $1k Kokatat, but at 1/2 price it's an attractive buy...esp as I don't like latex neck seals.