Devereaux to Swampscott

Gcosloy

Nine of us launched from the gentle surf and headed over to Tinker's where rocks and white water abound at lower tide. Heading south we stopped for lunch at Phillips Beach. Not before Phil had a spectacular capsize going thru the rocks. After we headed around the point towards Swampscott and found many more rocks to play in. Some led by Kevin played very close in, some at a safer distance and others sampling a little of both. The ride back was helped by the shifting wind coming from the south west and we were back at Devereaux only to see a crowded beach of swimmers worthy of a summer's day. Choosing a line as far away from the beach goers as possible three of us landed, me, rather spectacularly into strongly breaking surf. The rest paddled round Marblehead Neck and into the harbor for a safer exit. What started out as a rather mild and possibly boring day on the water held plenty of excitement for those "who held life cheap over honor". I couldn't help thinking of Shakespeare's Prince Hal as he exhorted his outnumbered men to battle against the French at Agincourt on St. Crispin's Day

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

post-100097-1252942105_thumb.jpg

Nine of us launched from the gentle surf and headed over to Tinker's where rocks and white water abound at lower tide. Heading south we stopped for lunch at Phillips Beach. Not before Phil had a spectacular capsize going thru the rocks. After we headed around the point towards Swampscott and found many more rocks to play in. Some led by Kevin played very close in, some at a safer distance and others sampling a little of both. The ride back was helped by the shifting wind coming from the south west and we were back at Devereaux only to see a crowded beach of swimmers worthy of a summer's day. Choosing a line as far away from the beach goers as possible three of us landed, me, rather spectacularly into strongly breaking surf. The rest paddled round Marblehead Neck and into the harbor for a safer exit. What started out as a rather mild and possibly boring day on the water held plenty of excitement for those "who held life cheap over honor". I couldn't help thinking of Shakespeare's Prince Hal as he exhorted his outnumbered men to battle against the French at Agincourt on St. Crispin's Day

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his blood with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

post-100097-1252942105_thumb.jpg

Gene,

Excellent trip report. I hope it does not set a new poetic standard for these reports!

In any case, as one who was close in, thanks to Kevin and Scott for the tips on how to handle the rocks - not to mention at least two well-timed warnings of incomings (while I was busy admiring the beauty of crashing waves on the rocks). Instead of adding to the spectacle on the rocks, by racing up the first one I was able to escape with just a mouthful of Swampscott surf; and then managed to do an end-around on the second.

On the way back, just east of the base of Marblehead neck, Kevin and I encountered the largest breaking wave (8 feet?) I've ever seen close up. He went over the cusp, and I was thankfully a little off to the side when I went over it. It truly looked like a miniature version of the famous wave in the movie 'Perfect Storm', with us frantically climbing up the side of a dreadful 'mountain of water'. Luckily the beast was sufficiently far from the rocks that had it up-ended us we would probably just have had a swim.

Great day on the water. Thanks for calling it.

Bob

He was no longer "Prince Hal" by the time of your quote, Gene: he was King Henry!

"...This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remember'd;

We few, we happy few..."

Gene,

Excellent trip report. I hope it does not set a new poetic standard for these reports!

In any case, as one who was close in, thanks to Kevin and Scott for the tips on how to handle the rocks - not to mention at least two well-timed warnings of incomings (while I was busy admiring the beauty of crashing waves on the rocks). Instead of adding to the spectacle on the rocks, by racing up the first one I was able to escape with just a mouthful of Swampscott surf; and then managed to do an end-around on the second.

On the way back, just east of the base of Marblehead neck, Kevin and I encountered the largest breaking wave (8 feet?) I've ever seen close up. He went over the cusp, and I was thankfully a little off to the side when I went over it. It truly looked like a miniature version of the famous wave in the movie 'Perfect Storm', with us frantically climbing up the side of a dreadful 'mountain of water'. Luckily the beast was sufficiently far from the rocks that had it up-ended us we would probably just have had a swim.

Great day on the water. Thanks for calling it.

Bob

Indeed a fun day with lots of energy in the water. Great company and a paddle filled with all kinds of fun stuff. I topped out at about 20nm since I paddled from the Willows (probably Bob came close to that as well) so it was definitely a trip with all the elements. Many thanks for the rescue practice ;) and by the way Bob, I think a swim would have been the best scenario in that instance :blink::lol:;):swimming-smiley:

P.S. For those not there, the best way to imagine Phil's interesting rock run is too imagine a time piece moving counter clockwise with Phil's boat as one of the hands ;) Of course, no one had a camera!

It was a good day, but I was a tad tentative after that wallop. Waiting for the right timing too far in, seeing 6-12" of rock in front of the boat while Kevin's wondering why I stopped paddling with 3' of foam rapidly approaching. Next thing I know is I'm upside down in the froth. Guess I'm glad I didn't see it!

Lorrie got walloped as well by an occasional breaker just off shore of that monstrosity that Marblehead calls a light house, but managed to roll up. Let's do it again soon please!

Phil

Thanks for organizing the trip, Gene. Lorrie 'n' the boys had a great day-good combination of some miles, play and a bit more adventure/swell than we anticipated. I, for one, am glad no caught Phil's epic moment on camera-hearing it rather than seeing it up close was enough drama for me! And now I know if I get surprised by a rogue wave when I'm tired, it is possible for me to retain enough composure to roll back up. The large rocks I feared I might be surfed into provided strong inspiration to take the time to get it right!

It was a good day, but I was a tad tentative after that wallop. Waiting for the right timing too far in, seeing 6-12" of rock in front of the boat while Kevin's wondering why I stopped paddling with 3' of foam rapidly approaching. Next thing I know is I'm upside down in the froth. Guess I'm glad I didn't see it!

Lorrie got walloped as well by an occasional breaker just off shore of that monstrosity that Marblehead calls a light house, but managed to roll up. Let's do it again soon please!

Phil

Phil,

From my vantage point behind you, it seemed like you got perched on a rock ledge as the water drained. It could only have been a second, but it seemed much longer and I remember thinking 'what happens now?'. Well, I guess nature had an answer! Kudos for staying in the boat and helping to right yourself afterwards.

Bob

Well we never did get to Nahant, given the splendid diversions. And our addendum provided a couple of somewhat-foreseen thrills, eh Lorrie?

This was one of the squiggliest trips I've been on, so am awaiting Barry's GPS trace.

Let's repeat this one soon.

Ern

This was one of the squiggliest trips I've been on, so am awaiting Barry's GPS trace.

Ern,

I had posted this on another thread.

marblehead913.th.jpg

Total distance was 14 miles. And for the record we continued around Marblehead neck to extend the day and mileage a little not because we were afraid of a little surf :D Getting in close to the rocks on that side with Kevin and Scott was really awe inspiring.

Barry

Ern,

I had posted this on another thread.

marblehead913.th.jpg

Total distance was 14 miles. And for the record we continued around Marblehead neck to extend the day and mileage a little not because we were afraid of a little surf :D Getting in close to the rocks on that side with Kevin and Scott was really awe inspiring.

Barry

Barry-I'm sorry if my post suggested that the only reason folks elected to paddle round Marblehead Neck was for safety. Perhaps it was Leon screaming at me when I went for it surfing into Devereaux "DON'T DO IT GENE, DON'T DO IT!" that made me think that. Leon cautioned that every third wave was dumping and he was right! In retrospect I would have liked to join you if only to see that giant breaker that Rob described.