Foam - Bilge Pump?

brambor

So I'm stuck in Omaha Nebraska until Friday, having slight withdrawals and I was thinking about a suggestion given to me by NESC last year about a foam tube.

I was mentioning my legs going numb... one of the suggestions was to put a foam tube under my thighs, right in front of my seat.

I have since greatly improved leg numbness by doing nothing else but paddle my kayak. Basically I got used to being in the kayak. But ocassionaly I do get the leg numbness.

This coincides with my thinking about the placement of my bilge pump. The harmony bilge pump width is ideal to fit behind my seat in the cockpit. The bilge pump is covered with foam sleeve on the outside. I thought perhaps placing the bilge pump in front of the seat might be a good idea. I'm just brainstorming here...I can't really test it but I was wondering what your opinion was about it?

The harmony bilge pump width is ideal to fit behind my seat in the cockpit. The bilge pump is covered with foam sleeve on the outside. I thought perhaps placing the bilge pump in front of the seat might be a good idea. I'm just brainstorming here...I can't really test it but I was wondering what your opinion was about it?

It depends on your intent. If the idea is to use the bilge pump as support for your legs, I'm not sure how well that will work. If it's just for convenient storage, it should work, but you have to make sure that the pump is well secured, as having it rattling around in the cockpit or losing it during a capsize/wet exit would be a safety hazard. There are several ways to store a bilge pump, with the most common being:

- Behind the seat

- Between one of the cheek plates and the hull

- Under the foredeck

You can see some of these in my Webshots albums at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom-reg

Thanks for the link Brian. I will check it out. I will test the bilge pump in front of the seat when I get back on the water. I'll try to figure out a good attachment which is secure and also easy to remove for usage. The idea was that it could do a double duty but maybe it's just an idea that will pass. . .

It depends on your intent. If the idea is to use the bilge pump as support for your legs, I'm not sure how well that will work. If it's just for convenient storage, it should work, but you have to make sure that the pump is well secured, as having it rattling around in the cockpit or losing it during a capsize/wet exit would be a safety hazard. There are several ways to store a bilge pump, with the most common being:

- Behind the seat

- Between one of the cheek plates and the hull

- Under the foredeck

You can see some of these in my Webshots albums at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/brian_nystrom-reg

As regards numbness/sciatica the pump under the legs would be the worst thing for someone like me (and I presume others). Aside from our Force 4, the angle of the stock seat was sharp enough that it dug into my thighs and excited/accelerated the symptoms. Home-made seats of closed cell foam did the trick. Most of the time my legs are up against the thigh braces, relaxed or otherwise, but when I stretch my legs out they have the full height of the cockpit.

yeah and since I don't get the numbness anymore (rarely), I don't know how to prove that it is working :D

As regards numbness/sciatica the pump under the legs would be the worst thing for someone like me (and I presume others). Aside from our Force 4, the angle of the stock seat was sharp enough that it dug into my thighs and excited/accelerated the symptoms. Home-made seats of closed cell foam did the trick. Most of the time my legs are up against the thigh braces, relaxed or otherwise, but when I stretch my legs out they have the full height of the cockpit.

So I'm stuck in Omaha Nebraska until Friday, having slight withdrawals and I was thinking about a suggestion given to me by NESC last year about a foam tube.

I was mentioning my legs going numb... one of the suggestions was to put a foam tube under my thighs, right in front of my seat.

I have since greatly improved leg numbness by doing nothing else but paddle my kayak. Basically I got used to being in the kayak. But ocassionaly I do get the leg numbness.

This coincides with my thinking about the placement of my bilge pump. The harmony bilge pump width is ideal to fit behind my seat in the cockpit. The bilge pump is covered with foam sleeve on the outside. I thought perhaps placing the bilge pump in front of the seat might be a good idea. I'm just brainstorming here...I can't really test it but I was wondering what your opinion was about it?

Brian:

When gluing the minicell under the deck for the pump, what kind of glue do you use?

Thanks,

Bill

Brian:

When gluing the minicell under the deck for the pump, what kind of glue do you use?

As Bob said, contact cement works well and you'll need at least two coats on the foam and one on the boat. I clean both surfaces with lacquer thinner prior to applying the cement. I prefer to use Weldwood's gel contact cement, as it won't run or drip as liquid cement can.

• 3 weeks later...