Shark season

JohnHuth

Ah, shark season again.

So a great white has been seen off of Chatham. I was talking with my car mechanic yesterday and he said that a buddy of his caught what might be the largest mako on record, just east of P-town:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...e_record_catch/

This is not to say that there's anything to worry about, there have been very few recorded shark attacks in Massachusetts waters - I just find it interesting that there's a big uptick in shark sightings this time of year. Someone once explained it to me that they were chasing migrating fish south (e.g. striped bass).

Don't take it personally John; I'm just tired of the endless media hype over things that really aren't news.

Brian,

Are you becoming a curmudgeon like Sir Godfrey? Will we need to humor you after every misspelling or two?

Suz

Although a Great White hanging around the neighborhood wouldn't ring my chimes if I was a seal, this is a really fascinating event.

As of this morning, they'd tagged 3 more sharks, bringing the total to 5. Since Great Whites are endangered and very little is known about them as they don't do well in captivity -- although the Monterey Aquarium managed to keep a young 'un alive for a bit before it was released back into the wild -- being able to study these magnificent fish is truly a godsend for the local scientific community.

If any one wants to learn more about Great Whites, PLUS find out more information about sea birds than you might ever want -- evidently life is nasty, brutal and short in the gull community -- "The Devil's Teeth" by Susan Casey is a great read. While Ms. Casey caused a bit of a ruckus out at the marine biological station (where she was NOT supposed to be) on the Farallon Islands, her often morbidly funny, sarcastically well-written book about the shark scientists and ornithologists in residence and their work with Great Whites and sea birds is fascinating.

And a Great White, or, "The Landlord" as he's known to the surfing community, is a lot wider and deeper than my ExplorerLV, resembling a toothy, aquatic double wide trailer. :jawdrop:

Deb M :roll::shark:

Suz -

To be fair to Rick, I was posting that partly just to get his goat. It worked.

On the shark thing - the fishing is amazing right now. Not only did that friend-of-a-friend bag a huge mako, my friend caught a bit tuna and a bunch of cod over the weekend. I just finished off part of a striper. If I were a shark, this is the place to be!!

John

If any one wants to learn more about Great Whites, PLUS find out more information about sea birds than you might ever want -- evidently life is nasty, brutal and short in the gull community -- "The Devil's Teeth" by Susan Casey is a great read. While Ms. Casey caused a bit of a ruckus out at the marine biological station (where she was NOT supposed to be) on the Farallon Islands, her often morbidly funny, sarcastically well-written book about the shark scientists and ornithologists in residence and their work with Great Whites and sea birds is fascinating.

. :jawdrop:

Deb M :roll::shark:

I would love to borrow this if at all possible.

Suz