knives - revisited

thief

so.....I always carried a spyderco rescue knife in my pfd...as well as a diving line cutter....

but in a Gloucester dive shop I just picked up a new knife:

a scubamax max divers edge in stainless...(also available in titanium).....

what caught my eye was that this knife has an externally located line cutter...no trying to open it......but there is a full blade when needed too...

22.95$ not bad

r

See attached TERRIBLE review, however.

Apparently this is not Spyderco or similar quality. Indeed, non-folding PFD-able McNett similar clones are on eBay for 2 for $20 shipped. Just keep it greased.

See attached TERRIBLE review, however.

Apparently this is not Spyderco or similar quality. Indeed, non-folding PFD-able McNett similar clones are on eBay for 2 for $20 shipped. Just keep it greased.

I've carried this knife for years in my BC pocket when diving. I read the review and I'm not impressed. Anyone who thinks a TI knife will hold an edge like high quality steel is a fool. A cheap TI knife is not meant for heavy use, but the edge should stay sharp enough to cut a couple of lines and the TI doesn't corrode or required constant application of silicone grease. I do have some rust stains at one of the pins, clearly the pin is steel.

I do agree that line cutters in knives are usually useless. Any I've seen are dull, ground to a bad angle, and difficult to sharpen. If you want a line cutter, one of the various dedicated cutters would be better.

Ralph

Just one note about this knife. I would not carry it on or in my PFD due to that very sharp point on the end of it (sharp points and rough water are not a good mix). Do they sell a snub nose version?

A readily available and safe(er) knife that has worked well for me is the "bearcalw" made by CRKT.

http://www.crkt.com/cgi-bin/crkt.pl?pgm=co...;search_id=4685

Here it is on my pfd.

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk467/j...oy/P9060001.jpg

I don't even notice it. I don't tether it and it has never come out inadvertently ( the way I seize it on helps with that).

The finger hole helps assures you have a good hold as you remove from the sheath and use it.

Personally, I just can't see having to deal with opening a knife when I need it in/on the water.

Jon

+1 for the Bearclaw. I've carried one for the past several years and am happy with it. I did manage to snap the point off it this season though while freeing a fellow paddler's skeg. So, now it has an even more blunt tip ;-)

Carl

+1 for the Bearclaw.

Poseidon has taken a pair of them from Emilie and I; one at a time. ...I think that they were both lost doing things like practice re-entries. We'll now use only knives with a positive lock in the sheath.