kayak found

eneumeier

At around 2:00 PM this afternoon a kayak was drifting by my Lanesville rocks, heading to Halibut Point, thence to France. So, when it was really close to shore I swam out, clipped my towbelt to the deckline, and neighbors on shore pulled it in.

(It was truly remarkable how quickly the thing was moving along. The surge is still quite impressive. I decided to skip my idea of a lengthy swim.)

Hard to say where the boat started from. I suspect someone either left it on shore and failed to account for the storm surge at high tide or had tied it not realizing that the toggle could be torn off. One toggle is now missing and the line that once held it is torn.

Anyway, if you hear of someone in the Annisquam - Lanesville area of Gloucester missing a kayak, let me know.

Liz 978-281-2920 or eneumeier AT earthlink DOT net

Ahhh...I see a legend in the making.

From this day forward, folks will whisper tales of "The Ghost Kayak of Lanesville" around their campfires... :unsure:

They will pay homage to the "Brave Elizabeth" who risked life and limb to reach said kayak, only to find it... *gasp*...EMPTY! :notWorthy:

Please tell me this now legendary kayak is not a Swifty! :wacko:

Anyway, if you hear of someone in the Annisquam - Lanesville area of Gloucester missing a kayak, let me know.

Liz 978-281-2920 or eneumeier AT earthlink DOT net

This may be obvious to most readers, and you may have done this Liz, but is standard protocol to inform local authorities when a kayak sans paddler is recovered? Which authorities?

Gary

I don't know of a "standard protocol." I cannot imagine that anyone was in peril in this instance. One grab loop -- a grossly inadequate line was used -- was torn off, as though the kayak had been tied up to something and ripped away. If I had any doubt about it, I would have notified the harbor master, coast guard and local police. I put up signs in all the local joints where the owner is likely to inquire.

On the other hand, my post-Bill work continues. A dead Atlantic White-Sided Dolphin showed up in the same spot this afternoon. I did call the NE Aquarium about that and someone from the Whale Center here in Gloucester came out. I helped her tie a rope on the poor beast and haul it out to be measured and photographed. Learned that these are open sea creatures rarely seen near land, and they travel in large groups, even 100 or so. No evidence of cause of death. Liz