Sniping and Pseudonyms

Dee Hall

Recent sniping has created a (virtual) atmosphere where many new paddlers are too intimidated to post questions. Even when responses are not posted with pseudonyms, they are often laced with scorn and/or one-upmanhip. This is unnecessary and hurts lots of people in the process.

Using pseudonyms to attack other posters creates a lot of additional fallout. Tensions are heightened between groups of paddlers which carries over into many club and non-club activities. Also, many people assume that they know who is behind the pseudonym casting blame that may or may not be deserved.

I am not saying that I am completely innocent of such activities myself, but I hope that we can all go forward with more consideration for our fellow paddlers, current and future. I hope that the message board will heal in time.

Good post. I personally have come to dislike posting here because of the periodic "cheap shot artists" hiding behind their 'net handles. Creates a lot of distrust. If you want to say something critical, say it up front and put your name on it. Disagreements are fine and doen't have to pollute the atmosphere. Anonymous digs and outright backstabs are pure...BS (or "chickenshit" as we used to call it).

david yee "sing" moy (yes. sing is my real name.)

Sean,

I think you may be on to something there. Maybe Sing needs to come back and join us on the water in his SOF or Stitch and Glue... whatever it is - the long one with the cool name - Ronin.

Alas though, I believe that the surf bug has bitten him and we won't see him on the water unless he is seeking to feed the bug with the adrenalin rush. We have lost Sing and will forever more have the Evil Twin to deal with.

Suzanne

Actually, the "evil twin" came to be because down time with the server somehow affected my ability to log in with my normal name/handle. The timing was also appropos in that I was really not liking the underlying currents that were (are) taking place in this forum. There exists a negativity that just sucks folks in. I felt the "evil" part of my new handle was appropriate. Most folks know I hang at P-net. When some troll jumps on, I can easily avoid and not respond. Why should I care? I don't paddle with these anonymous folks. However, with the NSPN club board, you get trolls and are left wondering ... Was that someone I paddled with the week before? The NSPN members who anonymously troll here are undermining the club whether they think so or not. At this point, I truly don't care either way. That's just the fact for me.

sing

PS. Suz, you are still a buddy.

HIGH SURF ADVISORY

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

500 PM EDT FRI SEP 24 2004

...HIGH SURF ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

SOUTHEAST SWELL ASSOCIATED WITH HURRICANES KARL AND JEANNE WILL

CONTINUE TO BRING DANGEROUSLY HIGH SURF AND RIP CURRENTS TO BEACHES

ALONG THE ENTIRE MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND COASTLINE THROUGH AT

LEAST SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

SWELLS HAVE PUSHED INTO MOST OF THE BEACHES ACROSS CAPE COD AND THE

SOUTH COAST OF MASSACHUSETTS THIS AFTERNOON. LONG PERIODS...UP TO 17

SECONDS...WERE REPORTED. THESE SWELLS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE

BREAKERS AS HIGH AS 10 FEET...ESPECIALLY ON SOUTH AND SOUTHEAST

FACING BEACHES.

WITH THE HIGH BREAKERS...RIP CURRENTS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. RIP

CURRENTS ARE STRONG...NARROW CHANNELS OF WATER THAT FLOW AWAY FROM

SHORE. REMEMBER...IF YOU BECOME CAUGHT IN A RIP CURRENT...REMAIN

CALM AND TRY TO SWIM ON A COURSE THAT IS PARALLEL TO THE BEACH UNTIL

YOU ARE OUT OF THE RIP...THEN SWIM TOWARD SHORE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO

SWIM BACK TO SHORE DIRECTLY AGAINST THE CURRENT. IT CAN EXHAUST

EVEN THE STRONGEST SWIMMER...WHICH COULD RESULT IN DROWNING.

STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO AND YOUR LOCAL RADIO OR TELEVISION

STATION FOR FURTHER DETAILS OR UPDATES.

Have fun!

Liz N.

While I haven't noticed the sniping you refer to (I must not have read the posts in question), I agree about the use of pseudonyms. Personally, I don't think we should allow them, but that's not a realistically workable solution. While it seem ridiculous to have to admonish people to act like adults, I guess there's little choice. If need be, we can start monitoring posts more carefully and deleting any that are particularly nasty, but I truly hope that it doesn't come to that. A better solution is to try to get to the source of tension and crankiness and deal with it. In any organization our size, there are going to be disagreements and personality conflicts, but that doesn't mean that we can't be or shouldn't be civil with each other. We're all adults here, so lets keep it cordial, shall we?