small "Eddyline repair...

spider

The Eddyline took some heavy hits this past trip. The boat is made of some kind of high grade plastic that at 1st looks like other composite boats.

Cleaning it up, scrubing it up, the other day I see that I have a pretty deep divot with a bit of a crack leading from either side it.

It's all pretty small and not taking on water, but I figured given "Murphy's law" sooner or later it will take another hit right at that same spot.

I'm wondering does anybody do small repairs like that around here ?

Usually with plastic I would be tempted to drill a small pin hole on either end of the crack to stop it from spreading and maybe a drop of epoxy to fill the holes, but with the deep divot and being a boat I don't think that would be the thing to do.

thought I would ask some advice.. or a person who is good with that sort of thing...thanks

The Eddyline took some heavy hits this past trip. The boat is made of some kind of high grade plastic that at 1st looks like other composite boats.

Cleaning it up, scrubing it up, the other day I see that I have a pretty deep divot with a bit of a crack leading from either side it.

It's all pretty small and not taking on water, but I figured given "Murphy's law" sooner or later it will take another hit right at that same spot.

I'm wondering does anybody do small repairs like that around here ?

Usually with plastic I would be tempted to drill a small pin hole on either end of the crack to stop it from spreading and maybe a drop of epoxy to fill the holes, but with the deep divot and being a boat I don't think that would be the thing to do.

thought I would ask some advice.. or a person who is good with that sort of thing...thanks

The first thing you should do is to contact Eddyline and get their recommendations. Your boat material is akin to polycarbonate and it can be repaired using a variety of materials. You can bond similar material to it with methyl methacrylate and perhaps it would be possible to dissolve plastic in it to make a filler paste (maybe there's something like that on the market?). Epoxy will bond to is just fine, but you'd need to tint it if you want to try to hide the repair.

Gentlemen, thanks for the advice/link.

Made the repair today, incredibly easy. Whew that stuff has quite an odor, will keep an eye on it to see how it holds up.

I'm fortunate it was a small repair.

Happy paddling