Salem Sound and Rescue Practice

rylevine

Gene, Blaine and I left Dead Horse Beach (no kidding) in Salem Willows at 11:00 to Childrens. Oppressively hot as we were dressed for water, not the air, so we were all rolling by Childrens. Very little wind, and perhaps 1' waves. Started towards Bakers in search of some surface energy in order to practice rescues in realistic ocean situations. Weather improved by the time we got to Bakers and waves more evident. Went around the east side of Bakers (a lot different this time than at the solstice paddle!) and found some really nice rock play and maybe 2-3' swells. Rock play continued at Misery, and we started the rescues after lunch. The decision was to continue south along the coast instead of cutting across the sound, which was fortunate as a heavy haze filled the harbor. The power plant stacks disappeared. The wave action improved south of Misery, and we periodically stopped along the trip to try rescues....particularly when waves seems heavier. All-in-all, we had rolls, multiple T-rescues, Cowboy, re-enter and roll, assisted Cowboy, and a tow off the rocks. Even with only ~2' waves, certain rescues became more difficult, particularly the Cowboy and re-enter and roll (not surprising those are the self-rescues). The rock play along the Manchester/Beverly coast was actually not bad. The haze started to lift and blow into shore, creating beautiful ghostly images (and of course me without a camera). We were able to cross at Lynch park, and actually caught some nice wave action there for some more rolls. The return to Dead Horse Beach was about 5:00, where we discovered the Willows in full swing with picnics and music.

We had a great time ---- an excellent paddle, and an opportunity to kick up the skills a notch. Now that the water is warm, it would be great to couple paddles with ocean rescue practice more often.

Bob

Gene, Blaine and I left Dead Horse Beach (no kidding) in Salem Willows at 11:00 to Childrens. Oppressively hot as we were dressed for water, not the air, so we were all rolling by Childrens. Very little wind, and perhaps 1' waves. Started towards Bakers in search of some surface energy in order to practice rescues in realistic ocean situations. Weather improved by the time we got to Bakers and waves more evident. Went around the east side of Bakers (a lot different this time than at the solstice paddle!) and found some really nice rock play and maybe 2-3' swells. Rock play continued at Misery, and we started the rescues after lunch. The decision was to continue south along the coast instead of cutting across the sound, which was fortunate as a heavy haze filled the harbor. The power plant stacks disappeared. The wave action improved south of Misery, and we periodically stopped along the trip to try rescues....particularly when waves seems heavier. All-in-all, we had rolls, multiple T-rescues, Cowboy, re-enter and roll, assisted Cowboy, and a tow off the rocks. Even with only ~2' waves, certain rescues became more difficult, particularly the Cowboy and re-enter and roll (not surprising those are the self-rescues). The rock play along the Manchester/Beverly coast was actually not bad. The haze started to lift and blow into shore, creating beautiful ghostly images (and of course me without a camera). We were able to cross at Lynch park, and actually caught some nice wave action there for some more rolls. The return to Dead Horse Beach was about 5:00, where we discovered the Willows in full swing with picnics and music.

We had a great time ---- an excellent paddle, and an opportunity to kick up the skills a notch. Now that the water is warm, it would be great to couple paddles with ocean rescue practice more often.

Bob

Thanks Bob for organizing this. It was fun. Kudos on that impressive re-enter and roll. And thanks to Blaine for that equally impressive rescue of my cap! I'll look forward to doing this again.

Thanks Bob for organizing this. It was fun. Kudos on that impressive re-enter and roll. And thanks to Blaine for that equally impressive rescue of my cap! I'll look forward to doing this again.

Gene,

Yes. I had forgotten that notorious cap. We should have a special skills session on what to do when a passenger (such as caps, glasses, and etc) refuse to go along with your roll! Thanks for coming.

Bob