Saturday 7/18 - Salem Sound and Rescue Practice

rylevine

Would like to combine a trip with some rescue practice, depending on interest.....

Here is a tentative plan:

Trip out of Salem Harbor or Willows starting at 11:00 around Salem Sound. L3 and CAM style - everyone stays together. Have one other paddler so far, but would like more.

Tentative Time: 11:00 am.

From either Salem Harbor (email me for location rylevine at comcast dot net) or the Willows if there is more than one more. Paddle to Children's Island. Rolling and Rescue practice off Children's away from boat lanes, close to island, but still in ocean conditions. Snack at Children's North beach; and then to other Salem Sound Islands (Tinkers to the South or Coney and/or Misery to the North depending on conditions and participants' interests). Children's chosen because it is outside of boat traffic and still relatively close to put-in. Coney is another possibility, but has fewer landing options.

Would like to be back by 4 or so, but am flexible. Will have more definite plan by launch.

Bob

Snack at Children's North beach; and then to other Salem Sound Islands (Tinkers to the South or Coney and/or Misery to the North depending on conditions and participants' interests).

Bob

Hi Bob.

I thought Children's was private (Boy Scouts) and we were asked not to land there??

Al

Hey Bob

Great trip idea! Count me in. Who needs a landing. We can always raft up for lunch.

Blaine

Hi Bob.

I thought Children's was private (Boy Scouts) and we were asked not to land there??

Al

Al,

Thanks. I had forgotten. We can snack on Coney or Misery. Of course, rafting up to eat is itself a skill, although people would probably want to stretch their legs eventually.

By the way, the Misery Islands may cost a $5 to land unless you are a member of the Trustees of the Reservation.

Bob

Al,

Thanks. I had forgotten. We can snack on Coney or Misery. Of course, rafting up to eat is itself a skill, although people would probably want to stretch their legs eventually.

By the way, the Misery Islands may cost a $5 to land unless you are a member of the Trustees of the Reservation.

Bob

Bob-I believe that Children's is host to several day camp programs. I don't believe camp is in session on the weekends. You might be OK on Saturday. Might join you-debating whether to go see the Blackburn race.

Bob-I believe that Children's is host to several day camp programs. I don't believe camp is in session on the weekends. You might be OK on Saturday. Might join you-debating whether to go see the Blackburn race.

Gene and Blaine,

The weather forecast for Salem, MA has all the storms moving out by the afternoon and 10mph SW winds which seem to be very reasonable conditions, however the Coastal Waters Forecast is a small craft advisory and

S WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY WITH A

CHANCE OF TSTMS IN THE MORNING. SOME TSTMS MAY PRODUCE HEAVY

RAINFALL IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

I'm keen to avoid having our practice rescue morph into a real rescue. We can always stay in the harbors (Salem and/or Marblehead) if it looks too rough....or we can postpone 24 hours until Sunday. Either option is fine with me. I'll check the weather and any other postings early tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Bob

My vote would be to paddle tomorrow. Being in the harbor, we can choose our level of challenge and practice our rescues first in a sheltered spot, then move out a bit and try them again in a bit rougher conditions. That way we can practice near shore if need be and explore the limits and effectiveness of all the rescues and rolls we've been learning on flat water. As long as we have an onshore wind and a safe landing and don't venture too far out, I think we won't have much to worry about.

But if either of you are not comfortable with that, I'm perfectly happy to switch to Sunday and milder conditions.

Blaine

Gene and Blaine,

The weather forecast for Salem, MA has all the storms moving out by the afternoon and 10mph SW winds which seem to be very reasonable conditions, however the Coastal Waters Forecast is a small craft advisory and

S WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. SHOWERS LIKELY WITH A

CHANCE OF TSTMS IN THE MORNING. SOME TSTMS MAY PRODUCE HEAVY

RAINFALL IN THE MORNING WITH VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

Don't forget to check the nuanced swell forecast, which accounts for swell direction, at...

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/secto...ineDay.php#tabs

Right now (midnight), it's predicting 2-3' for Salem Sound on Saturday, which is significant for that area, normally protected by the Cape/S. Shore, but nowhere near the 4-6' forecast for 25 miles out. Of course, the wind and possible tstorms are an issue in the morning, but those could change by then.

Don't forget to check the nuanced swell forecast, which accounts for swell direction, at...

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/secto...ineDay.php#tabs

Right now (midnight), it's predicting 2-3' for Salem Sound on Saturday, which is significant for that area, normally protected by the Cape/S. Shore, but nowhere near the 4-6' forecast for 25 miles out. Of course, the wind and possible tstorms are an issue in the morning, but those could change by then.

6:00 AM Saturday -- the whole forecast has lightened up. From that interactive NOAA map, it looks like 1' in Salem Sound today, despite 2-4' farther out. Also, the storm line went through early and it's looking like a mild day, with even some sun later. Have a good time!

6:00 AM Saturday -- the whole forecast has lightened up. From that interactive NOAA map, it looks like 1' in Salem Sound today, despite 2-4' farther out. Also, the storm line went through early and it's looking like a mild day, with even some sun later. Have a good time!

What a difference a few hours can make! We are on with the original plan.

11:00 Salem Willows: Parking by the tennis courts. Put-in at the small sandy beach to the right as you face out onto the pier (facing Beverly). (Because of difficulties with Tuck's Point I checked the Willows web site which clearly states 'free parking' ..... three cheers for the 'Peoples' Republic of Salem'!)

This will be a somewhat evolving plan depending on participants' interest. However, we will paddle first to Children's for ocean rescue practice, then snack, and then continue to Misery. We can either return south along the shore and cross the Danvers river to the Willows, or cut across to Coney island and then to the Willows.

Hope to be back around 4-5. The pace will be leasurely. If we are running late, we may shorten paddles distances by visiting closer islands instead of Misery.

Bob

ps. David, thanks for that web site of inner coastal conditions. Very useful.

David -- Many thanks for your input and the nifty link. I've bookmarked it for future trips.