Use of flares in the water

tyson

As a related tangent to "communications" with the Coast Guard, I feel a bit under-educated on the use of flares. Specifically, how water proof are they? How dry do I need to keep them so that I can expect them to work? If I'm in the water and attempting to launch one, is it OK if it gets submerged in the process? I've not seen information about this on the flares or packaging.

I've also read something recently about older flares not being acceptable or reliable? I bought a couple of flare packages 2 years ago for a 5 day trip Island hopping up in Maine. Are they still good?

I'm likely to go try a few just for the experience. If I'm 50 miles inland and take care about fire hazards, would I be breaking any rules about false alarms?

Thanks!

Ty

As a related tangent to "communications" with the Coast Guard, I feel a bit under-educated on the use of flares. Specifically, how water proof are they? How dry do I need to keep them so that I can expect them to work? If I'm in the water and attempting to launch one, is it OK if it gets submerged in the process? I've not seen information about this on the flares or packaging.

I've also read something recently about older flares not being acceptable or reliable? I bought a couple of flare packages 2 years ago for a 5 day trip Island hopping up in Maine. Are they still good?

I'm likely to go try a few just for the experience. If I'm 50 miles inland and take care about fire hazards, would I be breaking any rules about false alarms?

Thanks!

Ty

The flares will have an expiration date printed on them. As for launching them even inland, I think that might end up in trouble. I think that they are nice to have to keep legal, but I wouldn't put much hope into them finding any help.

I also worry about them burning your or taking off a finger when launched. I would keep them dry and attempt to keep out of a situation where you need them.

-Jason

The flares will have an expiration date printed on them. .... I think that they are nice to have to keep legal, but I wouldn't put much hope into them finding any help.

Perhaps our friendly CG authority will cite the regs, but the requirement is the flares be current and not past the expiration date although you can keep old ones around for use. My understanding is a kayaker is not required to carry a daytime visual distress signal and only required to carry nighttime visual distress signals (flares) when underway between sunset and sunrise.

How well they work depends upon the flares in question. I am of the same opinion as Jason which is most of the flares carried by kayakers are shall we say "not particularly reliable" unless you pay some big bucks for good ones and even then they may not be of much use in finding help. They may well be of use for the help finding you once they have gotten to your general location and within visual range.

Technically illegal to fire a distress flare unless the situation merits it or the event is authorized even if 50 miles inland. Rumors are one has to be lucky to have one of the routinely carried puny jobs work so trying them may just depress you or cause you to pay the money to get a SOLAS flare as opposed to raising the ire of the local constabulary.

May find this of interest.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/pyro.htm

Ed Lawson

In the annals of NSPN lore there was one informal test of out-of-date flares with a high number of successful ignitions, including the ire of the homeowner across the foggy cove they were landing upon. If you are of a mind to test or dispose of your flares, I believe the local fire department would be the best to consult.

In the annals of NSPN lore there was one informal test of out-of-date flares with a high number of successful ignitions, including the ire of the homeowner across the foggy cove they were landing upon. If you are of a mind to test or dispose of your flares, I believe the local fire department would be the best to consult.

THAT NEVER HAPPENED.

A not so bright use of pyrotechnics inside of a house. (Only watch the 1st minute, as they are as good with the video as the plan for lighting it in the 1st place.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF--6l1bSnw

-Jason

At least it confirms that submerging in water does not extinguish them. They would have been good candidates for the darwin award.

At least it confirms that submerging in water does not extinguish them. They would have been good candidates for the darwin award.

Brilliant!

Toward the end of the expiration date of the flares, I would make sure you have some redundancies. I think the hand held flares will be more reliable than the ones you fire from guns. For shells in guns, I would make sure you have 3 flares for one successful shot - particularly if you travel a lot on water. The metal eye on the end of the shells tend to corrode.

Remember that you'll likely want to know that someone is nearby and looking for you before setting off flares. I've heard of a number of cases where flares fired couldn't attract attention because nearby boaters weren't really looking for any signs of distress. I suppose a parachute flare at night could be the exception to this - a lot of it depends on viewing conditions and whether someone may be actively searching for you.

Brilliant!

Toward the end of the expiration date of the flares, I would make sure you have some redundancies. I think the hand held flares will be more reliable than the ones you fire from guns. For shells in guns, I would make sure you have 3 flares for one successful shot - particularly if you travel a lot on water. The metal eye on the end of the shells tend to corrode.

Remember that you'll likely want to know that someone is nearby and looking for you before setting off flares. I've heard of a number of cases where flares fired couldn't attract attention because nearby boaters weren't really looking for any signs of distress. I suppose a parachute flare at night could be the exception to this - a lot of it depends on viewing conditions and whether someone may be actively searching for you.

In the University of Sea Kayaking's Capsize & Recoveries video they show a lengthy demonstration of the effectiveness of flares, both day & night. Most smaller flares similar to what we might carry in our PFD or on our kayaks are not particularly visible during the day & only a little @ night. Without getting into the really big stuff, IMHO the most effective smaller flares are the 20mm pistol type. They are very impressive.