Need info on parking in Manchester

alcoons

Leslie Beale and I have posted a SNG for this Saturday out of Manchester. We launch at low tide. Can anyone help us with the logistics of the put-in/parking? Just called the police and they were NOT very helpful. If we want to launch at the Police Station is there parking nearby? Same question about Tucks Point? I assume Masconoma Park is NOT an option at 10 AM on a Saturday in the summer?

Thanks for your help.

Al

The parking behind the police station is free and public. In fact about a month ago, while loading our boats, we had a great conversation with a Sgt. who was out on patrol and happened to drive into the lot. Turns out he's a kayaker as well. I've never had a problem parking there - though it can get crowded late morning and afternoon.

Good Luck.

John King

There are a few parking spots available for non-residents in the far lot behind Town Hall / Police Station. Basically, it's 10-12 spots in the center of the lot. On a nice day they fill up pretty quickly however. Last year, a couple of us arrived 8:00-8:30 and got the last two or three.

What we did for the rest of the group was park in the school lot, on Lincon Street, about a mile away. You can get a map here.

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/ma/district_profile/482/

If you do that, you probably want to reserve one non-resident spot in the Town Hall lot for the shuttle car to return to. Last year we didn't have to, because a kind NSPN-er lived less than a block away and provided that one crucial spot, but she's no longer there. You could try leaving some boats or a pile of gear in a parking spot, and stand menacingly over it with a paddle on your shoulder? Might work, might not. ;-)))

Good luck. I'm glad you are doing this, and sorry that the storm threat cancelled last week's official trip.

--David.

Thanks for your help so far.

Am I correct then in assuming you cannot park on the streets anywhere near the Police Station?

Anyone know about the commuter rail lot? Police were unclear about it -- suggested something about paying $20 because it was near the beach? The MBTA web site says there are 71 free spaces there.

I doubt if you can park on the street. Anyway, a bunch of cars with kayak racks doing so would not help us keep our (hopefully still) good reputation. The train station lot gets commandeered by the boy scouts (I believe) and they charge something substantial, like $10, but maybe more now.

--David.