Download and listen to this two-and-a-half minute podcast on one aspect of night paddling: Seattle Sports' NightQuest compass.

Seems the only way to listen to this podcast is to physically download it. It won't load online.

Playable through a pc or any MP3 player...I hope.

night_nav_podcast.mp3

Seattle Sports' NightQuest compass.

My future father-in-law bought one of those. The lighting mechanism didn't last one trip into the water. I don't recall the details, but when I inspected it I concluded that the sealing mechanisms where deficient in design and that getting it exchanged was pointless. The mounting didn't work reliably either.

I use a Brunton 58. It doesn't solve the night problem, but works well otherwise.

Although I have a ComNav 70P deck mounted I also carry the Suunto Orca as a spare. The Orca has a luminous card that will stay illuminated for up to 20 minutes after shining a flashlight on it for a short time. I've heard of people puting as glow stick or small led light near or under their compass as well for illumination but have not tried this myself.

Suunto Orca Kayak Compass

I think Seatle Sports has a great idea with the NightQuest but it is pretty big compared to others which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing.

Here is a link to what some others think of both types

http://www.ckf.org/forum/forums/thread-vie...d=45&mid=70

Neil

Here is a link to what some others think of both types

http://www.ckf.org/forum/forums/thread-vie...d=45&mid=70

Some of the folks on that forum are advocating hand held compasses. Such compasses are OK for occasional reference on flat water to check visible land marks. When paddling beyond sight of land (perhaps fog?) it is difficult to paddle in a straight line without a constant heading reference (normally you would pick something on the horizon) and a hand held can't offer that, esp. in rough seas. I prefer a large compass out front where I can see it while paddling.

...yeah, I can fly on instruments too. ;-)

Cheers!

Ty

what i do....take a standard, tried and true suunto orca and then take anywhere from 8-12 of those little tiny glowsticks that fishermen use and shove those bad boys up under the card and tape it up and strap it down...the glo of the sticks is enough that you can read the compass.

move the compass onto your foredeck as opposed to way down by the bow (but my eyes are older than they were) so that you can see it and voila....you've a compass you can read at night affixed to your boat and your hands are free.

easy-peasy and i can tell my heading.