help with car-topping a canoe and a kayak

great_blue

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience hauling both a canoe and a kayak, and can offer some advice for a friend. He has a 3' X 17' canoe and a squamish (plastic kayak) he wants to put on a minivan. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Stackers, wide bars, and a step ladder. The stackers and wide bars let you put both craft on edge and hull-to-hull up against the stackers. That's what I do for my car. The step ladder is for loading. The drawback is that the craft may not be stable on edge; I use foam blocks from NESC on the bars to create a stable and padded platform.

Cheers,

Bob

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience hauling both a canoe and a kayak, and can offer some advice for a friend. He has a 3' X 17' canoe and a squamish (plastic kayak) he wants to put on a minivan. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jon

I carry my kayaks in and older version of these:

http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept...&sku=835XTR

I sometimes strap a 2nd kayak to the back side of each pair.

I strap canoes (if I have to use one of the awful things, that is why God gave us kayaks!) upside down to a set of Thule bars with set set of pads on the bars.

Obviously, the two above suggestions work in combination.

Here are a couple of posts I made to a related group on techniques for loading heavy boats on to tall vehicles:

http://www.meetup.com/NESeacoastPaddlers/m...001627#28126378

Look for three posts on a row from me.

Cheers!

Ty

Jon

My roof racks are set up to hold a canoe and a kayak or up to 3 kayaks. I drive a Honda CRV I am fairly certain I have 58" bars (Thule), and a set of J hooks. The J hooks don't take up much space and still allow a canoe to fit. I also have the rollers and saddles for a second kayak carrier and when needed foam pads in the middle to carry kayak #3. Piece of cake!