Skyblazer flares

djlewis

I just bought a new package of Orion Skyblazer flares, and I see that they are "improved" and the instructions for using them are more elaborate than a couple of years ago.

It's now something like -- press top of launch tube to unlock sleeve; pull down on cap to lock sleeve in place; unscrew cap so ignition chain drops down; pull the chain to launch.

So, my question -- I'd really like to try the process out with one of these new guys, but without firing it or rendering it unusable in the future. (They cost $12 each!) Has anybody fired or tried these out and can tell us how much of that process we can carry out and then reverse, so the flare is back in more or less storable/usable form.

Thanks. --David.

I just replaced my Skyblazer flares (expired 2007) after a bit of a search. Joel at NESC told me they were off the market for a while: seems there were problems so they were redesigning them. Must be the "improved" features. On the old ones, the plunger dropped out of the tube easily and could be pushed back. I was not brave enough to try opening up these new ones--which on casual inspection look a bit tighter. If you figure it out, let us know.

While shopping I saw the new Paine-Wessex parachute flare. It appears to be a substantially better product than the older model: the business end has an O ring and screws off and the tube is a robust plastic. Seems to be much more waterproof: the old one had an O-ring, but it was a slip fit I think. In any case, the foil over the pyrotechnical material disintegrated after 5-6 years (I know, it expires after 3 years, but the longevity is an indicator of waterproofness in my opinion).

For those who are not familiar with a parachute flare, they are an entirely different class of signaling device: 1000' vs. 300', 90 second hang time (thanks to the parachute) vs. 10-20 second for skyblazer. Not cheap at $45 apiece but gets attention at a much greater distance.

Scott

I actually have both the parachute flare and the new Skyblazer.

I have to say that the instructions for the Skyblazer worry me, too - would I be able to get it going in a real emergency? I wouldn't even mind blowing $12 on testing the thing if it wasn't for the rules against false signaling. I suppose one could do it on land, well out of eye shot of anyone, and have a big bucket of water nearby and a fire extinguisher. It wouldn't exactly be "conditions", but it might give you some confidence that you could make it work.

What is the claimed range of visibility for the parachute flare? I seem to recall it was something of order 20 miles or so.

you can always do your tests on 4th of July, when folks are less likely to pay attention. ('course, you'll wanna be a bit more careful than we were when we did it....)

Despite the checkered history of some NSPNers, I feel compelled to update our experiences:

At the Coast Guard open house in South Portland in late April this year, we chatted with the coasties and some local outfitters. They told of a local man who did exactly that on the 4th of July in Portland. The CG caught him and the fine was pretty stiff ($5,000 if I remember correctly). Based on these conversations, I for one was convinced the Coast Guard will not cut people slack and look the other way on the 4th.

Scott

I actually have both the parachute flare and the new Skyblazer.

I have to say that the instructions for the Skyblazer worry me, too - would I be able to get it going in a real emergency? I wouldn't even mind blowing $12 on testing the thing if it wasn't for the rules against false signaling. I suppose one could do it on land, well out of eye shot of anyone, and have a big bucket of water nearby and a fire extinguisher. It wouldn't exactly be "conditions", but it might give you some confidence that you could make it work.

What is the claimed range of visibility for the parachute flare? I seem to recall it was something of order 20 miles or so.

John:

Here's the Pains Wessex product listing. http://www.pwss.com/ProductSpec.aspx?Produ...119&CatId=5

I was wrong: hang time is 40 seconds, not 90. Not sure of the distance, but it should be easy to figure given the earth's curvature and the estimated height (300 meters). Not sure if the intensity is an issue at the 20 mile distance, but I can tell you when the Coast Guard shot one off from South Portland in April, it was easily visible across the harbor.

John:

Here's the Pains Wessex product listing. http://www.pwss.com/ProductSpec.aspx?Produ...119&CatId=5

I was wrong: hang time is 40 seconds, not 90. Not sure of the distance, but it should be easy to figure given the earth's curvature and the estimated height (300 meters). Not sure if the intensity is an issue at the 20 mile distance, but I can tell you when the Coast Guard shot one off from South Portland in April, it was easily visible across the harbor.

Assuming an earth radius of 6367.4 Km, the slant distance from the maximum height (300 m) to the tangent point on a (approximately) round earth would be 61.81 Km ~ 38.4 statute miles.