Could use some advice

mejeepnut

I know this has been asked before but I didn't have much luck with search.I am looking for my first kayak.I am 6'1",265lbs,32" inseam,very thick thighs,and size 13 feet.2 weeks ago I rented a wilderness 17XL,my heals were wedged together and my legs were almost straight out in front of me.It just did not feel very stable but it was the only boat they had that my thighs would fit under the thigh braces.When I took kayak lessons the only boat thet fit was a Necky Eskia and it felt good.I have sat in a wilderness cape horn 150 and it felt great but I have not paddled one yet.Anyone know of any other boats that might fit me,something poly that I would be able to find used?

There are lots of boats out there that will fit you. Visit a few of the local dealers/outfitters and try several on for size. Remember that things like thigh pads, seats (especially seat backs or back bands), foot pegs, etc. are fairly easily modified for comfort and fit. Once you've found several that fit you physically, then try them out on the water, preferably for a few hours or in a lesson or tour or something so that you get a good feel for how they handle. Some plastic boats that come to mind as being fairly large in the cockpit include the CD Storm, Necky Looksha IV (maybe the XL version), CD Scirocco, Valley Skerray RMX, WS Sealution XL, etc. You may want to check out Wes Boyd's site for "big guy" kayak info

http://www.kayakplace.com/kayak.htm

for some ideas.

Have fun shopping!

Hey Chris,

Just checked out your profile and see you live on Bailey Is in Maine. So, thought I'd mention that this Sunday, Maine Island Kayak Co on Peaks Island is having a demo day which might be a good chance for you to try on some boats. www.maineislandkayak.com