Canoe rescue at Chebacco

(I'm going to jump in for Brian Nystrom et al on this one and say) they should be responsible for their own safety. (perhaps - arguable issue) they should be fined for going out without PFDs on a lake when they couldn't swim the relatively short distance to shore.

(I'm going to jump in for Brian Nystrom et al on this one and say) they should be responsible for their own safety. (perhaps - arguable issue) they should be fined for going out without PFDs on a lake when they couldn't swim the relatively short distance to shore.

I agree with your first point, but I don't see how you could fine them unless PFDs are required to be worn by adults. OTOH, what kind of morons put PFDs on kids, but not on themselves, knowing that they can't swim or re-enter their boat? What were the chances of any of them surviving if the other boaters hadn't arrived in the nick of time? Chances are that in addition to both of the adults drowning, the kids would probably have died of hypothermia. Given that, perhaps charging them with "child endangerment" would be appropriate.

At least the children had PFDs. Maybe PFDs should be made available to borrow for free at local police stations?

Bob

The law already requires a PFD for each person on the boat. PFD can be had for not a lot of $$'s.

If they at least had these in the boat they might have been able to grab them.

West Marine $8.99 PFD's

My preference would be for a more expensive type III PFD worn, but if their not going to be worn at least have the $10 PFD, it's not that expensive, plus it's less than the ticket they should get for not having the PFDs. I rather not have our police be in the business of renting PFD's.

-Jason

OTOH, what kind of morons put PFDs on kids, but not on themselves, knowing that they can't swim or re-enter their boat?

This is ridiculously common. Last year the Vermon tourist authority ran a newspaper ad with a picture of a happy family in a canoe on a vermont lake, with only the kids wearing pfd's.

Here is another one today. Father (no PFD) dies, daughters (with PFD's) survive - with no dad, and that is just on the river.

We are living on the Piscataqua River opposite the southern end of the Naval Shipyard where the current is strongest and we have been amazed by the number of kayakers and canoists going by in T shirts and without PFD's (or with them tied to the deck which I believe actually meets legal requirements).

Graham

This is ridiculously common. Last year the Vermon tourist authority ran a newspaper ad with a picture of a happy family in a canoe on a vermont lake, with only the kids wearing pfd's.

The law already requires a PFD for each person on the boat. PFD can be had for not a lot of $$'s.

If they at least had these in the boat they might have been able to grab them.

West Marine $8.99 PFD's

My preference would be for a more expensive type III PFD worn, but if their not going to be worn at least have the $10 PFD, it's not that expensive, plus it's less than the ticket they should get for not having the PFDs. I rather not have our police be in the business of renting PFD's.

-Jason

Effective PFDs are very inexpensive, making these accidents even more senseless. The problem is that people simply do not recognize the hazard - despite the numerous well-reported tragedies. It has only been in recent years that the dangers of the 'gasp reflex' have been reported, and even poor swimmers do not wear PFDs on the water. Enforced aggressive ticketing and general conciousness raising PR may be the only solution, but it would take time (like seat belts and smoking).

Bob

Effective PFDs are very inexpensive, making these accidents even more senseless. The problem is that people simply do not recognize the hazard - despite the numerous well-reported tragedies. ...

(Not picking on anybody.). Before we get a bit self-righteous about this -- have you ever played in rocks or surf without a helmet? I have. And I've seen others who should know better do it too, including some who (in other circumstances) told me to wear one.

When people perceive a preventative measure as uncomfortable, they get less rational.

--David.

(Not picking on anybody.). Before we get a bit self-righteous about this -- have you ever played in rocks or surf without a helmet? I have. And I've seen others who should know better do it too, including some who (in other circumstances) told me to wear one.

When people perceive a preventative measure as uncomfortable, they get less rational.

--David.

Has anyone tried inflatable PFDs? They are supposed to be more comfortable, although more expensive.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/082000c.htm

Bob

This will probably get me in big trouble with the powers that be, but since I live in NH, which is the "Live Free or Die" state, I don't see it much different than seeing people not wearing helmets when riding motorcycles.

Not the brightest idea, but I have also heard it refered to as ... natural selection in progress...

If it just affected the turkey without the PFD I would agree but it has a real impact on all of us.

Our 'wonderful' press never reports death by extreme stupidity they report death by kayaking, normally embellished by some sensationalist (and completely inaccurate) comment like "kayaker dragged down by undertow". The result of all this is that it creates a largely false impression with the public that kayaking is unmanageably dangerous. This in turn results in putting people off starting kayaking, pressure from spouses and family to "pick a safer hobby" and a knee jerk reaction from politicians to regulate it.

So - I have a problem with these idiots for entirely selfish reasons. Otherwise Darwinian selection is fine by me.

Anyone notice that this appears to be an entirely male way of killing oneself? Maybe the problem is not comfort or cost but plain old machismo......

Graham

This will probably get me in big trouble with the powers that be, but since I live in NH, which is the "Live Free or Die" state, I don't see it much different than seeing people not wearing helmets when riding motorcycles.

Not the brightest idea, but I have also heard it refered to as ... natural selection in progress...