Wanted a long river to paddle

Albatross

Hi from NZ, wanted a long river to paddle, in the States area, just thinking about perhaps 600 miles or more no serious rapids but grade two maximum fine. I have paddled over 19,000 kilometres of Sea kayaking/Lakes rivers so quite competent. Any suggestions please, I have all my own gear but would need to hire a kayak over there.

many thanks

Evan

A couple possibilities would be in northern NH where there is a trail of sorts I looked into a few years ago and the Miami and/or Ohio rivers. I don't have alot of specifics on distance, rapids, etc. but my brother did several trips on the Miami and/or Ohio for the Dayton Daily News awhile back and you might find some useful info there. There's also a "paddlefest" in Cincinnati (Ohio) that might dovetail with your plans.

Joe Glickman (sp) has written a book on his adventures paddling long rivers-from one state to the next--I forget the title--but I am sure you can get the title and the book from Amazon. He is a world-renowned surf skier/racer and is funny, knowledgeable and most helpful. He lives in NY-- Brooklyn--to be exact--if you can't reach him--send me a note and I'll try to get his contact information for you.

Les

aka swearing ferret

Joe Glickman (sp) has written a book on his adventures paddling long rivers-from one state to the next--I forget the title--but I am sure you can get the title and the book from Amazon. He is a world-renowned surf skier/racer and is funny, knowledgeable and most helpful. He lives in NY-- Brooklyn--to be exact--if you can't reach him--send me a note and I'll try to get his contact information for you.

Les

aka swearing ferret

Swearing Ferret thanks for the help, Joe Glickmans book Kayak Companion is a training manual I could not find the name of the river guide book so if anyone out there can help with the name would br great thanks.

Evan from NZ

Swearing Ferret thanks for the help, Joe Glickmans book Kayak Companion is a training manual I could not find the name of the river guide book so if anyone out there can help with the name would br great thanks.

Evan from NZ

Evan, I think Kayak Companion is probably the book Les (aka Swearing Ferret) is recommending. The first chapter is about Joe's trip on the Missouri River. It's not a river guide but has some relevant information for you.

Yes, thanks Leon, that book and another book on the Wisconsin River he published with Nels Akerlund, called Our Wisconsin River - Border to Border

Byline: Akerlund and Glickman spent much of 1996 paddling the 427-mile long waterway known to the Algonguin as "Wees-Konsan" (gathering of the waters) collecting material for Our Wisconsin River: Border To Border.

You can try to goggle him--I suspect he has a website--

Les

aka swearing ferret