Thermoform: Love it? Hate it? Know about it?

Dabend

I am interested in getting people's opinions about the good and bad of a thermoform kayak. The material sounds like a great compromise between the sluggish (and heavy) rotomolded and the faster, lighter but more delicate and expensive composite.

Would love to know what others have experienced or heard.

thanks,

d

I am interested in getting people's opinions about the good and bad of a thermoform kayak. The material sounds like a great compromise between the sluggish (and heavy) rotomolded and the faster, lighter but more delicate and expensive composite.

Would love to know what others have experienced or heard.

thanks,

d

Hi David,

I worked in a shop that sold Hurricane & Eddy Line boats. I found that for the most part they were lighter than glass boats. We had one leave a trailer @ speed (no, I didn't tie that one). It landed on its stern leaving a few cracks & a missing chunk of about 1 square inch in size, the fix was relatively easy. If your buying new they are a great value. I have to say for the cost of a new one you could probably get a decent used glass boat & that would be my choice. On the other hand if your looking for a 'rock garden boat' to save your nice composite boat, then I would go for one of these instead of a roto-mold boat. Of course this is all based on finding one that has the paddling characteristics that your like. Well, their is my 2 cents ($3.50 w/ the coming inflation), Chuck

What makes you think that rotomolded boats are "sluggish" and composite boats are "delicate"? Neither one of these things is absolutely true. There are some well-made rotomolded boats that are good performers (P&H, Valley, etc.) and plenty of very rugged composite boats on the market.

Compared to rotomolded boats, thermoformed boats have the advantages of lighter weight, generally greater stiffness and ease of repair (many adhesives work on thermoformed materials, unlike on polyethylene). Compared to composites, their only real advantage is cost.

I think you're right about the compromise of the thermoformed boats, and in some ways it's the best of both roto and composite. All are not equal however, although I only know of some early perception boats that had problems. I have an Eddyline nighthawk and it served me well, in the past. I believe Eddyline has made thermoform type kayaks the longest(?) and although their designs may take some getting used to, I think their boats are regarded as pretty solid. The hulls can also be repaired, if damaged, like a composite boat. I hope this helps.

Jon