Advice wanted on rec boat

bazzert

As much as it pains me, I am considering buying a rec boat so I can introduce my 4 year old to the joys of kayaking. It would primarily be for sheltered inland waters and lakes, and should fit either 1 or 2 adults plus the little guy. I was considering the WS Pamlico 160T; any other suggestions/advice ?

many thanks,

Barry.

Would an old perception Umiak fit the bill? It's a kids sea kayak and you can find them used for a few hundred. They may still make it but they have changed the name. I think it's a Carolina model now, not sure what number it is, maybe the Carolina 12xs?

Sea Kayaker magazine did a review of kids kayaks many years ago and the Umiak was well liked. Yes they had kids doing the reviews.

Sea Kayaker also had plans for a kids kayak years ago, I forget if it was a SOF or a stitch and glue.

DOH! I just reread your question and realized you were interested in a tandem. Any of the large tandem rec boats would fit the bill but don't rule out the Seda Amigo, it's a fiberglass tandem that was designed for an adult and a child, small adult, dog, etc.... It was only made for a year or so, you might be able to pick one up cheap. It would also be much lighter than a plastic rec boat.

Hey Barry,

Great paddle yesterday.

Do you just want to sit Ronin in front of you or actually get a tandem so he can pretend?

For the former nothing beats a long cockpit Pungo12...or even a 10. About 50 lbs, and they're actually kinda fun. Terrific Wilderness Phase3 comfy seat, too. I like the pebble-finish and coaming strip on the older Pungo Classic10 better than the newer one, too, so don't rule a used one for $400-ish. Harmony makes a cheap 55" skirt for it too that I've seen at ediscountbike on eBay for $30 shipped. (Its waist can be cut up to fit around both of you...necessary to prevent sunburned legs, given the ultralong cockpit.)

For a tandem I've heard that PamlicoT's (14'?) are a good choice...but I suspect quite heavy

(you might portaging with Ronin IN it for awhile, eh?).

Ern

Barry-

Just to open up your thought horizons, what about one of the plastic sit-on top surf toys. Something like the wilderness systems kaos, Perception 5-O (if you could find one) or something from OceanKayak. That way you could sit him on your lap to play on the pond and have something fun to goof around in the waves with. As he got older, it would be easier for him to use safely on his own.

Just my 0.02$ worth

Phil

Barry:

How about a canoe? Time-tested, no fuss and stable. Easy to move around in on the water. Hauls a load of gear. Kids love them as they can lean over the edges or jump in.

And since they are somewhat out of fashion (due to kayaks), you may be able to find a used one cheap.

Scott

Just my 2 cents,

The pamlico 165 is a good boat for 2 paddlers with lots of gear, the 135 is a flat bottom and very stable, and the 145 is a smaller version of the 165, all tandems have rear adjustable seats to slide forward to even out the weight. Maybe the way to go is with a used tandem.

For single kayaks , Ocean Kayak makes a kids sit on top kayak called the Kea about 9ft long and perception makes the Acaia Scout about 10 ft long and 25 lbs. The Acadia is wider than the Carolina 12. But at 4 years old your best bet is a tandem.

Bill H

Barry: How about a canoe? Scott

Seconded. What a great introduction to encourage hydrophillia, especially if there is any inclination to turn him on to camping. Some of my fondest on-the-water memories are of canoe-camping on Squam and Umbagog when my 2 boys were young.

Gary

Seconded. What a great introduction to encourage hydrophillia, especially if there is any inclination to turn him on to camping. Some of my fondest on-the-water memories are of canoe-camping on Squam and Umbagog when my 2 boys were young.

Gary

I enjoyed tandem kayaking with my boy for quite a few years. Tandems are great for two paddlers of disparate abilities wanting to journey together. If thats what you want to do , then I would suggest a tandem sea kayak (composite or rotomolded) , not a rec tandem.

if you want your boy to be learning in his own kayak; I heard that the Wilderness Systems Piccolo was a great little starter boat. Its not made anymore, but ads for used ones float around on the internet from time to time .

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Ronan is still too young to paddle solo, but the "umiak" looks like a great option in a couple of years. I have a neighbor who has offered to lend us his canoe so we'll give it a shot. I have only camped with him once so far and he loved it, so that is something we are planning to do more of. Bob, any particular tandems you would recommend?

thanks again,

Barry.

I'm the wrong one to ask about which boat is best for what and have only paddled tandems early on that were for two adults (including a BC trip where we paddled with Orcas!!!). As I mentioned earlier Dee (and others) had great results teaching kids at CRCK with a particular boat. When the time comes I'm sure they could tell you what boat it was, they also might have advice regarding appropriate size/age to get the little guy in his own boat. I'll also mention that instruction can also be more or less effective from "a stranger" depending on all parties, i.e. he might do best learning from someone he doesn't know. Again, best of luck.