Hydration pack/PFD attachment

I am looking for a hydration pac that I can put on the back of my PFD, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as I haven't been able to find one that will go on any particular vest without some modifications. I did see someone with a kokatat vest/ hydration pack combo, but am not sure what it was as I didn't get close enough to really give it a good look.... I would like to stop having to carry all these random water bottles in or on my boat.....

We used bungees to attach a standard Platypus hydrator, great volume and comfort, pretty flat and hasn't detracted from laying back. Others use hydrators with larger mouths for filling, mostly an advantage. Some carry hydrators on the deck, I think that's crazy.

-Just my 15 clams

I am looking for a hydration pac that I can put on the back of my PFD, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as I haven't been able to find one that will go on any particular vest without some modifications. I did see someone with a kokatat vest/ hydration pack combo, but am not sure what it was as I didn't get close enough to really give it a good look.... I would like to stop having to carry all these random water bottles in or on my boat.....

The Kokatat Tributary fits most PFD's w/o too much problem and of course it is golden on a Kokatat PFD.

NRS makes one also but I am a bit partial to the Kokatat one ^_^

I've had three different pfd mounted hydrators and find the Kokatat the best. I've got it on a Kokatat pfd but it should easily work on most.

I have had the same experience with the Kokatat.

By the way, for those of you who have hesitated as I did (for 3 years) to get a pfd mounted hydrator due to concerns about a bad back go for it. At least in my case, it has not been a problem. Two possible reasons: (1) the weight is close to the back and relatively high (the optimal location for loading something on a back -- same logic as a backpack), (2) the volume/weight is not large. While small volume seems good for the back, it would seem to be a disadvantage for long paddles. Ironically, I have found that since I am sipping water constantly, I don't consume as much water as I use to from water bottles (which I could only occasionally get to on the way to the beginning of dehydration). I do take a separate water bottle or two for lunch and to refill the bladder, but have not had to do that yet.

Al

I have had the same experience with the Kokatat.

By the way, for those of you who have hesitated as I did (for 3 years) to get a pfd mounted hydrator due to concerns about a bad back go for it. At least in my case, it has not been a problem. Two possible reasons: (1) the weight is close to the back and relatively high (the optimal location for loading something on a back -- same logic as a backpack), (2) the volume/weight is not large. While small volume seems good for the back, it would seem to be a disadvantage for long paddles. Ironically, I have found that since I am sipping water constantly, I don't consume as much water as I use to from water bottles (which I could only occasionally get to on the way to the beginning of dehydration). I do take a separate water bottle or two for lunch and to refill the bladder, but have not had to do that yet.

Al

I use the Platypus system & it works great for me. The bladder that came w/ the Kokatat system is actually to large for the bag (at least in the past), also the bag is not insulated. The Platypus is about 1/2 the price of the Kokatat and it is insulated (slightly). I have found that the Platypus will fit most if not all PFDs (works on my MsFit) & if you experiment w/ the straps you can get it to hug your vest, even w/ rolling, etc. I do plan to add 'D' rings to my PFD so that I can snap it on & off easily (don't tell the USCG). I did have a Tributary for my Msfit & it just clipped right on, the only reason I brought it back was that the bladder was to big for the bag. Well their my 2 cents ($3.50 w/ the coming inflation)

I use the Platypus system & it works great for me. The bladder that came w/ the Kokatat system is actually to large for the bag (at least in the past), also the bag is not insulated. The Platypus is about 1/2 the price of the Kokatat and it is insulated (slightly). I have found that the Platypus will fit most if not all PFDs (works on my MsFit) & if you experiment w/ the straps you can get it to hug your vest, even w/ rolling, etc. I do plan to add 'D' rings to my PFD so that I can snap it on & off easily (don't tell the USCG). I did have a Tributary for my Msfit & it just clipped right on, the only reason I brought it back was that the bladder was to big for the bag. Well their my 2 cents ($3.50 w/ the coming inflation)

Platypus makes the bag for inside the Tributary system. They stopped making the one that they used to and have changed to a different bag. For a short time, they were shipping with an awkward shaped bag but they are OK now.

As to where to get - New England Small Craft, Charles River both stock them.

I have a few extra bags that I swap out from time to time - any bag of the similar size will do. I prefer the ones without the big zip as eventually the big zip gets too hard to close.

Suz

Platypus makes the bag for inside the Tributary system. They stopped making the one that they used to and have changed to a different bag. For a short time, they were shipping with an awkward shaped bag but they are OK now.

As to where to get - New England Small Craft, Charles River both stock them.

I have a few extra bags that I swap out from time to time - any bag of the similar size will do. I prefer the ones without the big zip as eventually the big zip gets too hard to close.

Suz

What has replaced the big zip suz?

Bob,

Why is a deck mounted hydrator crazy? What am I missing?

Graham

We used bungees to attach a standard Platypus hydrator, great volume and comfort, pretty flat and hasn't detracted from laying back. Others use hydrators with larger mouths for filling, mostly an advantage. Some carry hydrators on the deck, I think that's crazy.

-Just my 15 clams

I have the NRS version and it attaches easily to your pfd. My only complaint is that the bite valve was lost the first time I did a reentry.

NRS doesn't sell a replacement separately so I replaced it with a camelback bitevalve and that has held for 2 yrs.

Deck mounted hydrator takes up space on the deck where I would otherwise have a chaht (in front) and a deck-mounted tow rig (behind). A PFD mounted hydrator is going to be more or less hands free and presents no entanglement issues.

Platypus' new "Big Zip SL" hydration bladder still uses a zip, but it's much better than the original "Big Zip". It's easier to open and close, and has a plastic clip that slides over it and keeps it closed. They changed the material and the shape so there are no more sharp corners that eventually crack/leak and collect slime growth. The quick disconnect hose makes for convenient cleaning and it's interchangeable with hoses from other brands. I prefer the more flexible, larger diameter hoses that Nalgene uses and they interchange just fine.

That's valid,

I certainly would not have it in front but I don't have a deck mounted tow rig (yet) so it lives quite happily just behind me with the hose running down the side of the cockpit. There is certainly no entanglement issue. In fact, I have so much clut on my person that I would be loath to add to it....

I guess it is fine for now. I might change if I ever get round to the deck tow system.

Graham

Deck mounted hydrator takes up space on the deck where I would otherwise have a chaht (in front) and a deck-mounted tow rig (behind). A PFD mounted hydrator is going to be more or less hands free and presents no entanglement issues.

Anything that dangles from your boat or person is an entanglement hazard when the two are separated. A hose from the back of your PFD is inherently shorter than one from a deck mounted hydrator and less of an entanglement hazard. I've lost my share of bite valves during rescue (practice) so nothing's perfect.

That's valid,

I certainly would not have it in front but I don't have a deck mounted tow rig (yet) so it lives quite happily just behind me with the hose running down the side of the cockpit. There is certainly no entanglement issue. In fact, I have so much clut on my person that I would be loath to add to it....

I guess it is fine for now. I might change if I ever get round to the deck tow system.

Graham

Looks like you've found a system that works you, now you only have to deal with the problem of being diagnosed as crazy, probably a minor issue compared with staying hydrated while at sea. I've seen a lot of ways of dealing with hydration. No right or wrong way.

I'm OK with 'crazy' :P

G

Looks like you've found a system for that works you, now you only have to deal with the problem of being diagnosed as crazy, probably a minor issue compared with staying hydrated while at sea. I've seen a lot of ways of dealing with hydration. No right or wrong way.