repairing leaky kayak ends?

Hi All,

I season or more ago I did end pours into my older Impex currituck to add rescue toggles (boat didn't come with them, unlike modern versions). Recently, the holes for the toggle cord in the hull have been leaking but there's no visually apparent channel (can't see the toggle bungee). So what's the best way to plug my leak? Obvious options are to do the end pours over until it comes out the toggle holes or to go in though the toggle holes with some marine grad epoxy and hope it plugs the channels. Other thoughts? I would prefer to get it right this time.

Thanks.

Phil

Phil,

You might try the soap solution technique to locate exactly where the leak is then use a vacuum to get the epoxy where it needs to go. This may be especially helpful for such hard to get at places as the bow and stern.

Look at the recent, "fixing a leaking cockpit flange" thread for possible ideas.

Jon

I rather like the epoxy/vacuum approach, but another simple option is to drill the holes out oversize, fill them with epoxy, then re-drill correctly sized holes. This is the way it's done in wood boats in order to make sure that the edges of the wood aren't exposed.

Thanks for the suggestions; I ended up using both. After drilling and refilling with epoxy, I still had a slow leak at one end of the boat. The vacuum cleaner/blower with soapy water demonstrated cracks in the tape/hull joint. Using the suction from the vac I was able to suck in enough epoxy to seal things up nicely. Thanks again.

Phil