wilderness skeg cable

I was wondering if anyone with a wilderness kayak has experienced any problems with their skeg, cable, or cable tube. I had some problems with the control for the skeg on my tempest. After some close inspection, I found that the cable tube had become disattached from the control end of the cable line, so instead of the cable riding through the tube, the whole tube would move when the slider was being used. After some effort, I managed to get the tube back in place and noticed that the clip that was supposed to hold the tube there was not in very good shape. I immediately checked the skeg end of the cable tube and when I put my hand on the clip, it just disintergrated in my fingers.

Hmm not made of a material that can withstand the effects of salt water I see. I did manage to fix it up with some very small clamps ( made of a more suitable metal ) that I could put around the tube and tighten with a nut driver. I find now that my skeg hangs down a little to much and needs adjusting. Can I fix this problem by moving the grip on the controller or is it more complicated? Is this a common problem with wilderness kayaks? Thanks for any advice in advance...

Hal

Morning Hal:

come and join the specific Tempest [paddlers group on yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TempestOwners/ )

yes there was an issue with putting steel spring clips on the end of the skeg tube....snap a stainless one on there and you are good to go...

now for the fun part of adjusting the skeg...there are pictures and info on the yahoo group about this....

how far down is it???i have adjusted my skeg so it is a little "proud"....it is always sticking out of the skeg box a bit....that makes it a little harder for something to jammed into the skeg box....and it also provides a tiny bit of skeg bite all the time.....now by a little bit i mean that my skeg shows about 1/4" (if that) beyond the hull.....works great....that also allows the skeg to drop further down when deployed as well....

to adjust it lower your skeg all the way and then you can go back to the control slider....there is a set screw that you can then loosen and move the slider to a new position....you can adjust it as far in any direction you wish to....play with it and see what you are comfortable with....

I am in Beverly if you are nearby and need some hands on help with it....

rob

I had the same problem. I found that both cable clamps had rusted out. I got small stainless steel hose clamps and after much work got them in place and tightened down. The rear one was a bit@@@ to hold in place and tighten. I think I used a nut driver as the only way to hold it in place and tighten. Screw driver caused the clamp to spin around the cable sheath.

Thanks guys,

Thief, I did take you up on the "Tempest owners group" as my girl friend and I are both Tempest owners. I found that after I loosened the screw on the slider grip, that I could see the cable. Should I pull the line through the slider and then put the grip in the same spot and tighten it to hold the cable in the new position? and how do I access the cable?

I'm about 2 inches out more than I'd like.........

Thanks guys,

Thief, I did take you up on the "Tempest owners group" as my girl friend and I are both Tempest owners. I found that after I loosened the screw on the slider grip, that I could see the cable. Should I pull the line through the slider and then put the grip in the same spot and tighten it to hold the cable in the new position? and how do I access the cable?

I'm about 2 inches out more than I'd like.........

the easiest way to to then gently -and i mean GENTLY- pus the skeg where you would like it...then make sure that the slider is where you want it....

also there is a metal tube that is over the skeg cable that has a cut into it so that the screw hits the cable....you have to make sure that the metal tube moves along with slider when you move it....

see you on the water!

good winds

rob

I also paddle the Tempest and found that the tubing needs to be lubed from tome to time.

I think that salt water gets in the tube and dries out causing the cable to stick causing the tube to come off from either end. I turn my kayak upside down and spray dry silicone into the tube working the cable in and out.

Bill H