Neck Gasket replacement

Hal

Several months ago there was a do-it-yourself article in "Sea Kayaker" magazine on how to replace the standard latex neck gasket with a "semi dry" neoprene system. I am tired of dealing with the latex gasket and want to make the change. So I am looking for feedback from anyone who has actually done this change. Over the years it has been made clear to me the weakest link in all my kayaking/outdoor gear is the neck gasket. Even if you have a new gasket and are not super careful your gasket can tear and make it useless. Let me know if you have done the change and how it went. Hal

Personally, I would never do this. I recall tales of a day where Rick Craingle on a rock from time to time and let the water drain out of his dry suit. If you do this I'd suggest doing it with time allowed to roll, etc. and change it back. I believe you will find that "semi dry" is unacceptable. Best of luck.

Several months ago there was a do-it-yourself article in "Sea Kayaker" magazine on how to replace the standard latex neck gasket with a "semi dry" neoprene system.

Don't know about replacement neoprene gaskets, but the soft latex gasket on my IR Comp drytop is remarkably comfortable and still totally sealed -- I tested it by playing dolphin for five minutes last year and it did not leak a drop.

But getting the fit right is probably the most important issue with any neck gasket, latex or neoprene. You might consider getting a well-fitted latex gasket from United Divers of Somerville. They have several sizes of heavy-duty neck gaskets, and the lady who installs them is skilled at fitting them. She will also do the trimming, if any is necessary, expertly and with a very sharp scissors, so there won't be any problems.

Don't know about replacement neoprene gaskets, but the soft latex gasket on my IR Comp drytop is remarkably comfortable and still totally sealed -- I tested it by playing dolphin for five minutes last year and it did not leak a drop.

But getting the fit right is probably the most important issue with any neck gasket, latex or neoprene. You might consider getting a well-fitted latex gasket from United Divers of Somerville. They have several sizes of heavy-duty neck gaskets, and the lady who installs them is skilled at fitting them. She will also do the trimming, if any is necessary, expertly and with a very sharp scissors, so there won't be any problems.

Several months ago their was an article in Sea Kayaker Mag about replacing a latex neck gasket w/ a neo gasket. it was very comprehensive w/ many photos. As I remember the author said he would take emails w/ questions. He said he had no leaks or problems. It sounded like a good fix.

Several months ago there was a do-it-yourself article in "Sea Kayaker" magazine on how to replace the standard latex neck gasket with a "semi dry" neoprene system. I am tired of dealing with the latex gasket and want to make the change. So I am looking for feedback from anyone who has actually done this change. Over the years it has been made clear to me the weakest link in all my kayaking/outdoor gear is the neck gasket. Even if you have a new gasket and are not super careful your gasket can tear and make it useless. Let me know if you have done the change and how it went. Hal

I have not seen any of the latex to neo switches, just heard about them and saw the article.

Awhile back, Jeff Allen, who is over in the UK took his drysuit to Reed's and they put one of the Reeds neck seals on his drysuit. It didn't take long though before it was too loose to keep all the water out. Not to say that for "most" people that would be enough, but not enough for an expedition where staying dry is critical to your survival. He tried it as they are of course, more comfortable and more durable.

As to gaskets and needing to be super careful, I disagree. I have about 25 suits and must say I don't 303 them often enough and can't supervise the on/off at all times and find that even with that abuse, they keep on going. A few are over 7 years old.

Also, I have never seen or heard of a gasket "blowing", "ripping" or failing while on the water. They fail when you are stretching them over your head taking them on/off.

Suz

Suz

I have not seen any of the latex to neo switches, just heard about them and saw the article.

Awhile back, Jeff Allen, who is over in the UK took his drysuit to Reed's and they put one of the Reeds neck seals on his drysuit. It didn't take long though before it was too loose to keep all the water out. Not to say that for "most" people that would be enough, but not enough for an expedition where staying dry is critical to your survival. He tried it as they are of course, more comfortable and more durable.

As to gaskets and needing to be super careful, I disagree. I have about 25 suits and must say I don't 303 them often enough and can't supervise the on/off at all times and find that even with that abuse, they keep on going. A few are over 7 years old.

Also, I have never seen or heard of a gasket "blowing", "ripping" or failing while on the water. They fail when you are stretching them over your head taking them on/off.

Suz

Suz

I have a Reed dry top & its not so dry. Though I like the piece, from day one it would let small amounts of water in @ the wrists & neck. I was told this would happen before I bought it.