Anyone for working on 4* stuff?

jdkilroy

I'm looking to connect with folks who would be interested in doing some focused work on 4* skills this weekend and the next two.

I would be wiling to travel as far as Casco Bay heading north and Cape Ann heading south.

Please respond here or email at jdkilroy at reenterandroll dot com

Jon

I'm looking to connect with folks who would be interested in doing some focused work on 4* skills this weekend and the next two.

Jon:

I am not on the BCU tract so to speak and those who are may know otherwise, but my understanding is the 4* award is now really about leadership. The paddling skills and conditions are essentially the same as required for 3*? The paddling/rescue skills are obviously necessary, but the crux on assessment I suspect is planning/leading.

If I am correct (always a big if), then, with others looking to do 4* assessment this season, you might consider jointly planning, posting, and leading a couple of trips. I believe a pre-requisite for assessment is at least 5 trips of at least 4 hours in which you participate as a leader or an assistant leader and the conditions at times include sea state 4. Might be beneficial to you and club. Just an alternative thought. I know it is always fun to play/work on the other stuff and would try to join if only to observe from a distance.

Ed Lawson

Hi Ed,

I suppose I should have been a little clearer about my goals. Well understood that 4* is a leadership-emphasis award. That said, boat handling, rescues, towing etc are still a significant requirement as the evaluation takes place on the water with practical skills being demanded in the course of leading the group.

The request for others to work on 4* skills is specifically to use gear and techniques that have largely lay dormant through the winter.

Jon

Jon, it is unlikely that I shall be available this weekend (perhaps Sunday?), but could be interested in honing skills the following two Sundays (I work Saturdays, generally). If you feel like coming to Cape Ann, I would join you -- I need the practice since I have not been on the water since meeting you in Little Harbor in the fall, I think (I was in an all-yellow Pintail)...

I would be wiling to travel as far as Casco Bay heading north and Cape Ann heading south.

Please respond here or email at jdkilroy at reenterandroll dot com

Jon

Hey Jon, Ross here (and yes it is now 3:24 in the morning and I'm up reading this board). How about Sunday the 12th maybe down in Manchester by the Sea. I would be interested in doing some rescues/tows/ and whatever else. I'll check the board tomorrow. Off to bed, the coffee is finally starting to..... wear off? wear off! Ohhhh we're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Ozzzzzz. -_-

Ross

Hey Jon, Ross here (and yes it is now 3:24 in the morning and I'm up reading this board). How about Sunday the 12th maybe down in Manchester by the Sea. I would be interested in doing some rescues/tows/ and whatever else. I'll check the board tomorrow. Off to bed, the coffee is finally starting to..... wear off? wear off! Ohhhh we're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Ozzzzzz. -_-

Ross

Ross et al,

Want to plan on it for tomorrow?

Yeah Man!! Lets do it! Hows Manchester by the Sea off of Ocean St? Resident only parking starts again May 1st so I'd like to get out there before us commoners are forbidden. How's meeting up @ 10:00 sound?

Yeah Man!! Lets do it! Hows Manchester by the Sea off of Ocean St? Resident only parking starts again May 1st so I'd like to get out there before us commoners are forbidden. How's meeting up @ 10:00 sound?

10:00 Kettle Cove for an impromptu skills session. Boat maneuvers, rescues, tows, playing in the rocks, so we won't be venturing out very far.

Ross

This weekend is out as we're heading down east for a week on the water

Sounds like hard work, but someone has to do it I suppose.

Sailing or paddling?

North of MDI?

Ed Lawson

Envious I am

Hi Ed,

Paddling; heading East from Jonesport. Island to island. We should have the place to ourselves. Looking forward to playing around Cross island. May head to Cobscook Bay to try out the reversing falls... open schedule at this point. Will plan on getting to Halifax Isl night one and see what unfolds.

It will be a chore but I am willing to shoulder my share of life's burdens.

Jon

Paddling; heading East from Jonesport. Island to island.

I suspect you have been and know all about area, but if you have not been there. Going down to the Cow Yard and Mistake Is. is well worth it as is going outside at Steele Harbor and Head harbor Is. You may find it playful there. As for being alone, I would think you will stand on the top of Halifax and realize you are indeed alone. The little cove on the east side is also a nice play spot....now I am intensively envious. Plan to be there this Fall.

Best of journeys.

Ed Lawson

• 3 weeks later...
I might be interested in level 4 practice if y'all are still working on it.

Sandy

I'd really like to do this.

With one exception my schedule is wide open over the next few weeks.