Wetsuit Jacket

bazzert

I was thinking of getting an NRS Wetsuit jacket to go over my farmer john for spring paddling. Any thoughts on this combination ? The goal is maximize upper body warmth while maintaining flexibility.

thanks,

Barry

This looks like you are creating a two piece "surfing" wetsuit - arms covered and reduced flushing at the core when in the water. I would recommend you get a "surfing" wetsuit instead, I know at least one person who finds his "surfing" wetsuit. I'm not sure how well it would seal at the waist. Another option would be a dry top which seals better at the wrists and neck and I believe at least as well at the waist.

I was thinking of getting an NRS Wetsuit jacket to go over my farmer john for spring paddling. Any thoughts on this combination ? The goal is maximize upper body warmth while maintaining flexibility.

thanks,

Barry

Barry,

Are you just referring to a dry top?

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Mar 23 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Barry,

Are you just referring to a dry top?

Actually I wasnt, but maybe that is what I should be looking at. Forgive my ignorance, but will a drytop help if immersed, or is it primarily for protection while in the boat ?

If I go the dry top route, any recommendations on particular ones ?

thanks again,

Barry.

Actually I wasnt, but maybe that is what I should be looking at. Forgive my ignorance, but will a drytop help if immersed, or is it primarily for protection while in the boat ?

If I go the dry top route, any recommendations on particular ones ?

thanks again,

Barry.

Barry,

I generally prefer a drysuit as I personally find it more adaptable and better protection for immersion. I have used a wetsuit (Farmer John) in combination with a dry top and it does keep you comfortable while in the boat. As for its immersion protection, it is not better than a drysuit and will only keep your top half dry to the extent that the drytop keeps the water from seeping in from the waist.

As for recommendations, it would be the usual such as NRS, Kokatat, Palm, etc.

Dee started out with dry "bibs" that merged with the dry top by rolling two tunnels together. While it was a bit of neoprene about the waste (less comfortable, a bit restrictive) it was less expensive and provided comparable protection to a dry suit. Though I did wear my wife's underwear when winter camping I've never wore the combination and do find the (spray?) tunnel on my Kokatat dry suit annoying but not uncomfortable or restrictive (it mainly to reduce water getting into the cockpit under the spray skirt). If money is not an issue you will do best with the dry suit and may want to consider a suit with or without the tunnel.