Wednesday 3/25 - Tucks Point

sidcohen

Hey Y'all,

I'm eying this Wed, 3/25/09, as a day to embark from Tucks Point or some similar put-in. I'd like to go out and look at the harbor seals on the Dry Breakers. (From a respectible distance of course.)

So far the forecast looks tolerable. However there is a pretty big difference between the marine forecast for the "Coastal Waters From Merrimack River Ma Out 25 Nm To Plymouth Ma" and "Boston Harbor" on the Weather Underground, 7-10 Ft vs. 1 Ft or less. Anyone know where to get an accurate forecast for the waters between Marblehead and Manchester-by-the-Sea?

Anyway if you can get way mid-week and you've got everything else you need for a trip this time of year on the North part of the Bay of MA then respond here, or by PM or e-mail.

If there is a small craft advisory for Wed then I'm going out on the Concord River instead.

Sid

Hey Y'all,

I'm eying this Wed, 3/25/09, as a day to embark from Tucks Point or some similar put-in. I'd like to go out and look at the harbor seals on the Dry Breakers. (From a respectible distance of course.)

So far the forecast looks tolerable. However there is a pretty big difference between the marine forecast for the "Coastal Waters From Merrimack River Ma Out 25 Nm To Plymouth Ma" and "Boston Harbor" on the Weather Underground, 7-10 Ft vs. 1 Ft or less. Anyone know where to get an accurate forecast for the waters between Marblehead and Manchester-by-the-Sea?

Anyway if you can get way mid-week and you've got everything else you need for a trip this time of year on the North part of the Bay of MA then respond here, or by PM or e-mail.

If there is a small craft advisory for Wed then I'm going out on the Concord River instead.

Sid

Sid-Try this http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/secto...ineDay.php#tabs

This is a marine graphical forecast that distiguishes between the coast and 25nm out.

These are the predictions I get at noaa.gov. This sort of difference between inner harbour and coast is typical, though not perhaps such a dramatic difference. The inner harbour is pretty sheltered from wind and storm surge. If you look at the winds in the early part of the week you can see some of the cause of the higher seas.

Thanks Gene,

The NOAA site was very useful, I did have that site bookmarked, I just forgot about it. It confirmed the difference in wave height. It looks like the forecast for Manchester will be wave heights around 2-4 feet. I'd be willing to paddle the Charles basin, leaving from Magazine Beach and a little of the inner harbor instead OR if I can get company for Manchester I'd like to paddle there.

Sid

Hi there

I'd interested for Manchester. Either myself in the single, or with my wife in the tandem, depending what we have for transportation (Rav needs muffler))

....Im thinking the Dry Breakers is the area aprox 2 1/2 miles off shore with about 1 mile being the largest crossing....

(Flexible to other plans, but will pass on going into the city)

Based on the Marine forecast I' m now looking at going out of Tucks Point meeting 11 AM this THURSDAY, 3/26. Tomorrow it will be pretty gusty and there will be some swell. Conditions are forecasted to improve Thursday although it might be cloudy.

Sid

Based on the Marine forecast I' m now looking at going out of Tucks Point meeting 11 AM this THURSDAY, 3/26. Tomorrow it will be pretty gusty and there will be some swell. Conditions are forecasted to improve Thursday although it might be cloudy.

Sid

Count me in.

Gillian, I don't it's right for all theses young guys with flexible schedules to have all the fun soooo..I'm gonna join them. Will signal the Salem coast with mirror. See you guys at 11:00.

Glenn.

ahh...Thurs finds me working....

Went out today, up the Squamscot from Chapmans Landing to Exeter and back. Tides worked out nicely so we were able to "go with the flow." for a nice easy paddle.

(didn't see any Osprey yet. plenty of Mergansers,though.)

Hope you have a great time!