Paddler looking for housing advice/help!

thief

Hey all

So....I am going to be leaving RI for a new job based in Gloucester. But, i know nothing about the area!!!!

I am in need of a 2 bedroom, great dog allowable, homestead of sorts.....and if i can keep my Tempest and Rockhopper there too it would be great!!!

With this move i swear i will become a paying member of NSPN after these few years of reading the forum...

Any and all advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!!

Rob

Anya (Swedish Vallhund)

& Sammy (Cardigan Welsh Corgi)

Hey all

So....I am going to be leaving RI for a new job based in Gloucester. But, i know nothing about the area!!!!

I am in need of a 2 bedroom, great dog allowable, homestead of sorts.....and if i can keep my Tempest and Rockhopper there too it would be great!!!

With this move i swear i will become a paying member of NSPN after these few years of reading the forum...

Any and all advice would be gratefully appreciated!!!!

Rob

Anya (Swedish Vallhund)

& Sammy (Cardigan Welsh Corgi)

-------

Rob.

Am forwarding your note to a colleague who lives in Gloucester. They don't kayak but her husband is a builder. Will let you know if they have advice.

Al

Hi Rob,

Deb and I live in Gloucester - ask away - you have our email address.

Bob & Deb

Rory, Fergus, and Tory -- the Airedale wrecking crew

thanks for any help everyone!!!!!

Bob: i know that Deb will just drop that bahiya on the roof of my Subaru with a "u owe me" note!

good winds

rob

There seems to be plenty for rent here at present...

You may call me at work at (978)282.1550 and I shall give you the telephone number of Elizabeth Kennett: she was an NSPNer and has gone to nursing school in NH for a year -- I do not know if her place is empty of occupied at present. It is <very> close to the water (outer harbour, near Stage Fort Park) and might be ideal for you, by the sound of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nspn-ers!

so a bit of an update on my situation...after driving around the Gloucester/Beverly area for about 5 hours on Monday i am focusing my search on Beverly.....it is a bit more inline with getting around on the train into Boston et al....the office i will be working out of is right at the end of the rotary on 128 (up in the biz park in the NOAA building) so easy access....

looked at a couple of big apartment complex things on Monday-ugh...have a couple of places to see on Sat....smaller than i had wished (both are 1 beds) but i can have the dogs there....boats..well..have to figure them out.....................

Anyone know of friends who have places to rent in Bev?

also hoping for a 6 month lease if possible....at the end of it I will probably have a better idea of exactly where i want to live...

Thanks guys!!!!!

rob

Anya & Sammy too

Hey Nspn-ers!

so a bit of an update on my situation...after driving around the Gloucester/Beverly area for about 5 hours on Monday i am focusing my search on Beverly.....it is a bit more inline with getting around on the train into Boston et al....the office i will be working out of is right at the end of the rotary on 128 (up in the biz park in the NOAA building) so easy access....

looked at a couple of big apartment complex things on Monday-ugh...have a couple of places to see on Sat....smaller than i had wished (both are 1 beds) but i can have the dogs there....boats..well..have to figure them out.....................

also hoping for a 6 month lease if possible....at the end of it I will probably have a better idea of exactly where i want to live...

Thanks guys!!!!!

rob

Anya & Sammy too

Sure wish I had known about this about two months ago (Beverly), as I just rented my place to a stranger I am already not thrilled with. It was on the NSPN Classifieds forever. Oh well, maybe next time. The boats would be a little awkward, but I am told you can rent a slip for fairly cheap money. That's what someone else does with her kayak who lives in the building. Good luck.

Nancy

Hey Nspn-ers!

Thanks guys!!!!!

rob

Anya & Sammy too

Rob,

Are you open to Salem? Quite a few places at the moment that are available, both dog and kayak friendly.

Sure wish I had known about this about two months ago (Beverly), as I just rented my place to a stranger I am already not thrilled with. It was on the NSPN Classifieds forever. Oh well, maybe next time. The boats would be a little awkward, but I am told you can rent a slip for fairly cheap money. That's what someone else does with her kayak who lives in the building. Good luck.

Nancy

Nancy- I saw your posting...but that the moment i was gainfully employed.....then i got laid off...and this new job fell into my lap....well not really fell..but it worked out.....

i might have kayak housing at my s.o.'s grandparents house...see how that works...

Thanks!

QUOTE(Kevin B @ Mar 19 2009, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rob,

Are you open to Salem? Quite a few places at the moment that are available, both dog and kayak friendly.

Hi Kevin:

got an appointment to see a place in Salem on Boston st Saturday morning....trying to not go too southwest from Gloucester....but as long as i can get to 128 easily enough.....

happen to have any phone numbers or classified ad links?

Thanks guys!!!

r

Hi Kevin:

got an appointment to see a place in Salem on Boston st Saturday morning....trying to not go too southwest from Gloucester....but as long as i can get to 128 easily enough.....

happen to have any phone numbers or classified ad links?

Thanks guys!!!

r

Rob,

Not sure of your price range, but I pulled up a number of places in Salem on craigslist.

For example, http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/abo/1081148165.html. This one is located on a beautiful dead-end street that ends at the water :)

(Disclaimer: I don't have any connection to this property.)

Thanks Kevin! going to check that one out!

Ended up spending the day up in Beverly on Saturday. Met up with 2 people (the third guy claimed that he had a concussion and missed the appt). One of the guys mentioned that he knew of a couple other places to check out so we headed off to Stone St. in Beverly; def. the best apartment we had seen out of the lot. See how it all goes! now to figure out which bots is the important one(S) to bring ;)

good winds!

r

Hi Rob,

I love Salem (OK, the pubs, the restaurants, and especially the Peabody-Essex Museum in Salem) but Beverly to Gloucester is a MUCH easier commute than Salem to Gloucester, especially if you find a place in North Beverly or near Rt 128 or both. Salem is nice but the non-128 part of the commute could end up being a grind -- Rt 1A in the morning isn't fun (I've done the reverse commute to the dentist in Marblehead and the vet in Salem).

If you're looking for T access to Boston then West Gloucester is a place to consider -- like Beverly and Salem, it has a commuter rail station (on Rt133) and good parking. You can also get to the same station pretty quickly from Essex, which more-or-less straddles Rt 133, and also has some nice rentals. If you're interested, contact me or Deb and we'll get you plugged into the Essex rental grapevine.

And stop by some time -- your commute brings you within a couple of hundred yards of our house.

The surf at Nahant was great yesterday... where were you??? B)

Bob (& Deb)

PS: The Bahiya awaits you... :D

yeah! just got word i am moving to Beverly!

happened to pop on to craigslist saturday morning....and the owner had posted his ad about 3 minutes before i got on there....last second drive to beverly this morning (sunday) and he called me this evening....i got a place to live!!!!! YEE HA! 3rd floor right at the Beverly farms train station....

so....if you happen to see a Dark Blue Subaru Baja with a RI plates big roof rack that may or may not have a lime green Rockhopper or a Wildy Tempest stop and say hi to me!!!!

post-100515-1238378741_thumb.jpg