Neck/Back Pain Question

pwerner

Whenever I paddle a decent distance (4nm+) in my sea kayak, I get what feels like a painful cramp or knot in the space just above and between my shoulder blades that lasts a few days. Yoga and stretching provide some relief, but not enough, and it takes a few days for the pain to ease and the knot to loosen up.

I have a 230 cm feathered Werner Camano Paddle and can generate quite a lot of thrust with it. I have very good torso rotation and the cadence of my paddling is noticably slower compared to other kayakers even though I speed along at 3-4 knots/hour. I'm beginning to wonder if the length of the paddle and the size of the blades aren't the cause of my pain and whether I need to use a shorter paddle with smaller blades. For example, I use a 202cm paddle for my Whitewater kayak, paddle very hard all day, and don't develop the same painful cramp.

Should I try a shorter paddle with smaller blades? Has anyone encountered this problem before? What is the best way to determine what length paddle you need for a sea kayak?

Why don't you come to the paddle/paddle demo at Pavilion Beach in Ipswich on Saturday (see other thread) and let's pose your question there:)

Seriously, it sounds to me like you must be using your shoulders and "holding" the muscle. Perhaps a shorter paddle would allow for more torso rotation and therefore less tension in the shoulders.

Try using your shorter WW paddle as an experiment to see if it still hurts. Or,(shameless plug) come to the paddle prior to the demo and borrow one of my 210's for the day and see if at the end of the day, you have the same issue.

Suzanne

>Whenever I paddle a decent distance (4nm+) in my sea kayak,

>I get what feels like a painful cramp or knot in the space

>just above and between my shoulder blades that lasts a few

>days. Yoga and stretching provide some relief, but not

>enough, and it takes a few days for the pain to ease and the

>knot to loosen up.

This can sometimes be as simple as posture. It is easy to get into the habit of slumping slightly forward or with a head-forward posture, as you get tired or if your fit in the kayak is not optimal. This can result in the symptoms that you describe. You might want a paddling partner to monitor your posture as you cover the miles. Sit tall but not stiff, don't round your back -- keep your lumbar curve, with your head balanced nicely -- your ears over your shoulders.

Greg Stamer

I agree with Greg on the posture point.

I have noticed that paddling the KS Viviane, but not in other boats for some reason, I have a tendency to want to lean and reach forward at the catch phase of my stroke. This results in the symptoms you describe. When I sit up and relax, they go away. Check it out.

Liz N.

>I have noticed that paddling the KS Viviane, but not in

>other boats for some reason, I have a tendency to want to

>lean and reach forward at the catch phase of my stroke. This

>results in the symptoms you describe. When I sit up and

>relax, they go away. Check it out.

>

Greg and Liz,

Your point about posture is quite plausible. I slump a bit and lean forward in the catch phase of my stroke. I'll try asking my paddling partners to catch me in the act and help me break the habit.

Thx,

Philip