Sunday Forest River Session?

Gillian

Hellooo anyone feel like doing a Sunday practice session at Forest River, Salem? High tide is at 9:27 so we could meet at 10 - might be nice to be in the salt water on a warm day, and if you don't have a dry-suit you could still participate since we'll be right next to the beach, and the parking is right there . . .

Anywho, I was tossing the idea around - let me know if anyone's interested!! :)

Hellooo anyone feel like doing a Sunday practice session at Forest River, Salem? High tide is at 9:27 so we could meet at 10 - might be nice to be in the salt water on a warm day, and if you don't have a dry-suit you could still participate since we'll be right next to the beach, and the parking is right there . . .

Anywho, I was tossing the idea around - let me know if anyone's interested!! :)

OK, sounds like a good idea. I assume being a little later would not be a problem.

OK, sounds like a good idea. I assume being a little later would not be a problem.

What time will you be there?? I can push it back if that's easier but I'd hate to be getting out of my boat when you're arriving :)

Also for the other question, Forest River Beach in Salem is a location we use for our summer practice sessions - so it's kind of like a lake session for skills practice, only it happens to be in salt water - it's a nice little area protected from wind etc. etc. So this is definitely sort of a lazy stretch your sea legs practice session in salt water - nothing exciting like the mouth of the river :) We'll pretty much be a few feet from shore the whole time :)

Couple Quick Updates!

Okay new time is 10:30 for late risers - meet at forest river.

Suz also brought up a good point that if you don't have a dry suit be exremely careful what you wear - cold shock if you fall out of your boat is more the issue than hypothermia. So even though we're near shore, wear a dry suit if you have one or a wet suit and appropriate outter layers.

See you at 10:30!

Couple Quick Updates!

Okay new time is 10:30 for late risers - meet at forest river.

Suz also brought up a good point that if you don't have a dry suit be exremely careful what you wear - cold shock if you fall out of your boat is more the issue than hypothermia. So even though we're near shore, wear a dry suit if you have one or a wet suit and appropriate outter layers.

See you at 10:30!

Thanks Gillian!

For anyone unfamiliar with cold shock, please take a look at this for a simple explanation.

http://www.americanboating.org/hypothermia.asp

Protection from hypothermia by being 10 feet from shore, your car with a change of clothes isn't the issue, the issue is cardiac arrest from cold shock.

Suzanne

Protection from hypothermia by being 10 feet from shore, your car with a change of clothes isn't the issue, the issue is cardiac arrest from cold shock.

Since what is the point of practice if you are not spending some time upside down or at least your head in the water, this timid woodland creature suggests ear plugs and a neoprene hood are nice things to be wearing too. Otherwise the phrase ice cream headache may seem a tad mild to describe the experience.

Not saying they make things comfy, but its not so bad with them.

Ed Lawson

What time will you be there?? I can push it back if that's easier but I'd hate to be getting out of my boat when you're arriving :)

I don't know when exactly I was going to make it, but since you said it was going to be "only a few feet from the shore" I thought I would just come when I can (no, I don't mean come at 3 PM and wonder where everyone is...) Still not 100% I can make it, however. I'll know tomorrow.