Sessions for beginners

fishpool

Charles River (Newton) and other outiftters run instructional trips, etc. as the weather improves. I recall a rolling clinic in a pool, perhaps they have cold weather instruction.

For now its pool sessions where someone is likely to be willing to help you do basic tasks. If the club times don't work for you or are full NESC (Rowley) used to hold pool sessions and perhaps still does. Don't be shy, make sure the experienced paddlers in attendance "pass it forward".

You may see events beginning to show up for travelling professionals who do stroke, etc. instruction. These are sometimes supported/subsidized by/for the club and sometimes on the commercial board. I have seen Bob Foote events that support all levels, if you know of someone who is more experienced, you can go together.

I am beginner- where should I go for instruction? : B)

Waterlover;

Welcome! NSPN has many opportunities for newcomers. In the Winter we have pool sessions almost every Saturday through April, and in the other months we have both lake sessions and paddles that are for people that are new.

The pool sessions almost always have people that can help you learn or tune your basic skills, as do the lake sessions. the best thing now would be to attend a pool: warm water, VERY protected :) and lots of fun.

Depending on where you live, we have a pool session coming up next weekend in Portsmouth, NH (may be full, however) and one in Haverhill on the 28th that is not full as I am the registrar. Check the Calendar for more info.

This coming year we will be making a series of paddles that are geared for both newcomers and those that don't think they are ready for open ocean paddles, rock gardening, or other similar activities. Look for these to be announced in a month or so.

Hope to see you soon. If you want more info on the pools, feel free to contact me brian@nspn.org

Waterlover;

...In the Winter we have pool sessions

...This coming year we will be making a series of paddles that are geared for both newcomers and those that don't think they are ready for open ocean paddles...

And don't forget various lake practice sessions that usually start in June and run once/week through the summer. Are those still on the docket for NSPN?

And don't forget various lake practice sessions that usually start in June and run once/week through the summer. Are those still on the docket for NSPN?

Hi David;

Yes, as I mentioned in my reply, after the pool sessions, there are the lake sessions. We don't foresee any change from past years - these are great for both newcomers and the seasoned paddlers. And I forgot to mention that most of the pool and lake sessions are often followed by a Post Paddle Pig Out ("PPPO") at a place local to the session that often has wonderful beer.

Hi David;

Yes, as I mentioned in my reply, after the pool sessions, there are the lake sessions.

Whoops, sorry... read too fast.

Actually, I'd play lake sessions up a bit bigger -- they are really an ideal thing for getting started. Protected harbors are a great beginners' experience, but place a significantly higher level of demand on the leaders/instructors as well as the students, especially when students haven't had a least a couple of hours on a lake kind of setting.

--David.

Ah... but pool sessions offer a warm place to get that first wet exit out of the way early on! ;)

...right Kevin?

Pool and Lake sessions both are great places to start.

We also schedule a "New-to-Seakayaking" Workshop and a follow up pool session every year that's packed with info... The workshop typically falls on a Saturday at the end of April and the pool session on a following Saturday... More news to come on that too!

Welcome! :jig: