current winter launching spots ?

spider

Is there any informal thread going on about what spots are good places to launch from as the winter wears on??

Right now -Pierce Island NH -seems like a good default place.

Adams Point, (Great Bay NH- seemed possible near high tide but might need a snow shovel to dig your own parking place.

Is Pavillon Beach, Mass any good now ?

Some other spots?

Jenness Beach, Rye parking lot is usually plowed enough to park, though their could be waves.

Also Seabrook Harbor next to where Seacoast Kayak was, at certain times of the year the harbor could be frozen. Launch into the bay and paddle out the ocean.

Bill H

Is there any informal thread going on about what spots are good places to launch from as the winter wears on??

Adams Point, (Great Bay NH- seemed possible near high tide but might need a snow shovel to dig your own parking place.

Some other spots?

Pavilion Beach in Ipswich is good any time of the year. To my knowledge, the town of Ipswich plows the lot. Conomo Pt in Essex is also a good spot for a protected paddle with the option of going over to Crane Beach.

There is always parking at Pavilion, but non-residents need to park along the road at Conomo Pt. However, you can park your car in the lot to unload. It's preferred that you not use the boat ramp and leave it open for clammers and residents.

Deb M :surf::roll:

For the most part, launch sites in the "greater Cape Ann" (Deer Island to Pavilion Beach - Ipswich) area are more available this time of year than any other. While you may need to carry over snow to the water, it hasn't been cold enough as it has some years where ice forms well out onto the water and launching at most places is hazardous. Things to watch for are include influx of ice on the rising tide where your launch may be blocked. Since few venture out to the water, parking is usually not a problem and your typical beach launch is an excellent choice. I can't say, however, that parking at places like Devereaux beach are maintained.

Can't forget York Harbor as there is a great kayak launch site at the Town dock. You can paddle up river or out to open ocean.

York Harbor Map

Another great spot is Chapman's Landing Stratham NH for a paddle into Great Bay or up river into Exeter. May be some ice in Exeter though so good idea to check it out prior

Chapman's Landing Rt.108 Stratham NH

....Another great spot is Chapman's Landing Stratham NH for a paddle into Great Bay or up river into Exeter. May be some ice in Exeter though so good idea to check it out

Just thought I would mention Chapman's was frozen solid the other day 1-12 09, at high tide there was a thread of water beside the parking lot but it was actually the marsh grass that flooded over in the high tide.

A couple of us were able to launch up at Adams Point on the 13th but not at the launch site, we had to get pretty creative to get the boats to water.....

Some other spots?

Rye Harbor, NH small boat launch is always plowed, can hold 5-6 cars

Marblehead spots:

Riverhead Beach across from Deveraux is clear most of the time and has the concrete ramp that reaches the water unless it is low tide, Deveraux is clear within 2 days after a snow storm as it gets packed down. It is not plowed on the Deveraux side as near as I can tell.

This High altitude photo shows Deveraux on the left Riverhead on the right.

http://wikimapia.org/1784006/Riverhead-Beach

Grace Oliver's is a nice protected cove (unless there is a Noreaster) with parking space along the shoulder the road within 50-100 feet of the beach.Plenty of parking for 20 cars or so. It has a sandy bottom beyond the initial 20' or so of round beach rocks. It is pretty level after that and no deeper than about 15' untill you get to the north edge of Brown's Island. Salem is to the West and Marblehead harbor is very close to the east.

This is where I plan on practicing rolls, etc next summer.

It is on Doliber Cove. It is the area in the center of this photo.

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.5148161&l...amp;m=a&v=2

All are public with Deveraux charging in the summer only unless you have the sticker.

I would be happy chk these out for snow issues before a paddle.

I am not looking at this site very often this time of year so please E mail if you have any questions .

fscullyiii@comcast.net

Frank