Cape Porpoise Jan. 2/4

EEL

Following up on Ross's suggestion, I'm starting a thread for a trip to Cape Porpoise next weekend.

I believe it is best to paddle the area within three hours of high tide. The inside flats out at low tide and stories of stuck boats and long slogs in the mud dragging a kayak abound. Finding a decent chart of the area is a trick and I have none. I suggest looking at Google photos to get a view of the area. It is a small archipelago close to shore and offers a variety of paddling. The trip up from Kennebunkport has much to commend it.

You may find these of interest:

http://www.thekennebunkportconservationtrust.org/webcam.html

Basic tide and daylight info for Friday. Sat. and Sunday tides about an hour later each day.

1-2-09

Sunrise 7:13

Sunset 16:23

Low 8:39

High 14:46

Low 21:03

Currently the advanced forecast, which is unlikely to hold till then, suggests weather on Friday and Sat would be better days.

Possible launch sites are Colony beach in Kennebunkport at end of Ocean Ave., town dock at end of Cape Porpoise road, or area at Turbats Creek. Again, Google these for directions/map.

Which to use is likely a function of conditions and number of paddlers.

I suggest launch time of 10:30 or 11:00 with return time of around 15:30. Goat Island with lighthouse is a good place to stop for hot drinks and snacks.

Ed Lawson

Following up on Ross's suggestion, I'm starting a thread for a trip to Cape Porpoise next weekend.

I believe it is best to paddle the area within three hours of high tide. The inside flats out at low tide and stories of stuck boats and long slogs in the mud dragging a kayak abound. Finding a decent chart of the area is a trick and I have none. I suggest looking at Google photos to get a view of the area. It is a small archipelago close to shore and offers a variety of paddling. The trip up from Kennebunkport has much to commend it.

You may find these of interest:

Basic tide and daylight info for Friday. Sat. and Sunday tides about an hour later each day.

1-2-09

Sunrise 7:13

Sunset 16:23

Low 8:39

High 14:46

Low 21:03

Currently the advanced forecast, which is unlikely to hold till then, suggests weather on Friday and Sat would be better days.

Possible launch sites are Colony beach in Kennebunkport at end of Ocean Ave., town dock at end of Cape Porpoise road, or area at Turbats Creek. Again, Google these for directions/map.

Which to use is likely a function of conditions and number of paddlers.

I suggest launch time of 10:30 or 11:00 with return time of around 15:30. Goat Island with lighthouse is a good place to stop for hot drinks and snacks.

Ed Lawson

Hey Ed

To bad you missed today on the Merrimack...hot but exhilerating with the wind and ice floes. Cape Porpoise for next weekend sounds like a plan to me. See you then...weather/conditions permitting

Here are chartlets I made of Cape Porpoise Harbor and an overview of that coastal area.

If you think they might be helpful, email me and I will send the images to you to print.

Thank you. Much appreciated, Jon.

Kindly send images to me at elawson@grizzy.com.

I do believe you are in luck as weather forecast is currently indicating Sunday will be the best day.

Ed Lawson

Since the gale warning ends Sunday morning, trip to Cape Porpoise is on for Sunday with a launch time of 1100 at Kennebunkport. The parking area and launch beach is reached by Ocean Ave. and is opposite the Colony Hotel. Since I have never been there, can't say more about it. If things look dicey we can go up and launch at Cape Porpoise. Plan is to have a nice mellow trip up to Cape Porpoise wandering along shoreline for most part. Short stop at Goat Island anticipated.

As a CAM or S&G trip or whatever, each person is responsible for deciding whether to launch or not and their safety once underway. Arriving prepared for cold water and cool air is assumed. If you plan on attending please respond here or by PM. If anyone has questions about the trip, please ask here and hopefully someone will have an accurate and cogent answer.

If the forecast changes dramatically, I will post a change in plans here by 10PM Sat.

Ed Lawson

From points south I have always taken (95 to) the Wells exit, second from the NH border, first on the toll road. You take a left at the end of the ramp (there's a light), then a left at a "T" intersection, then a right after the Maine Diner. This road takes you all the way into the "Lower Village" where you'll find Allison's Restaurant.

You can also get there from the Rte 35 exit (from 95 - services at that exit); you pass the high school and take what amounts to a shallow left at what appears to be a rotary (actually the local version of the "Big Dig"). This road takes you the library where you take a left and bear right. The road winds its way to a Sunoco station, take a left and over the bridge to the "Lower Village".

From points north you can also get Log Cabin Rd from Rte 1 (perhaps eschewing 95 altogether) which comes into the "Lower Village" and requires a right turn after passing the parking area for tourist shuttles, crossing water, and a "Do Not Enter" intersection at a bend in the road. You will enter the "Lower Village" from the opposite end and Allison's will be ahead on the right.

In the "Lower Village" you turn east onto Ocean Ave. The rest is pretty simple. The tightly packed shops break up soon after the turn giving way to B&Bs and the aforementioned hotel. I believe they have no issues parking at the beach. It opens onto a small "bay" and from there to the ocean.

Ed

I'll be there!

Gerry

Hey folks, unfortunately I won't be able to make the trip tomorrow. Here in NY visiting with family and need to stay a little longer. I will be around next weekend and I am hoping to get out on both days I will post for that. Hope the weather holds up. Ross